Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon doing LOTR tv show

Middle Earth is coming to TV.

Amazon announced on Monday that it has retained the rights to adapt J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings” for television for its Prime streaming service. The multi-season adaptation will feature “new story lines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s ‘The Fellowship of the Ring,’” which is the first “Rings” book, Amazon said in a statement. The deal also includes the opportunity to pursue spinoff series.

But it will cost Amazon dearly: Deadline reported that just the rights to the globally popular franchise cost $200 million. Further details — such as what writers, producers or actors would be involved, or when the show might debut — have not been announced.

With its fantastical setting and characters, “The Lord of the Rings” bears a superficial resemblance to HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” currently one of the biggest shows in the world. (George R.R. Martin, who wrote the books that series was based on, has said Tolkien’s series was an inspiration.)

It is also a proven pop culture commodity. Collectively the three “Lord of the Rings” films directed by Peter Jackson grossed more than $2.9 billion internationally.

The TV adaptation will cover different ground, focusing on “previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings,” Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins, said in a statement. The move amounts to a much-needed shot in the arm for Amazon, which has lost several top leaders in the wake of a sexual harassment allegation.

Last month, Roy Price, the head of Amazon’s entertainment streaming efforts, was forced to resign after a producer said he made an unwanted advance. Mr. Price’s top lieutenant, Joe Lewis, left Amazon shortly thereafter. Amazon said it will produce the series along with Tolkien Estate and Trust, the book publisher HarperCollins and the film studio New Line Cinema.

The move also comes just four months after the Tolkien estate and Warner Bros. — the parent company of New Line Cinema — settled an $80 million lawsuit.

Maybe it will be cool, Amazon has produced a couple of quality tv series indeed.

But maybe it will be all like:

"Alexa, bring The ONE to Mount Doom!"

"Repeat?!"

Blah

You mean:
    Alexa, tell the Amazon Same Day-Delivery Service to bring the Ring to Mount Doom by this evening

Alexa: I am sorry, Gandalf, cannot do this, you made the order after 12pm

Another thing that comes to Amazon Prime in a little bit over 2 weeks ... on 12/15:
    Perrsonal Space

A SciFi series with several veterans from SciFi-Series, for example Nicki Clyne, Richard Hatch (both from BSG), Tim Russ (Tuvok in Voyager) and Cliff Simon (Ba' al in SG-1)

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Hard to top the three movies. But if they cover new material, or want to redo the mess that was the hobbit, I'll pay for it.

I read the comparison to GOT and wondered what naked elves would look like

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

They need to work the old Nimoy song about Bilbo Baggins into the show.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
        X