Astronomy experts needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronomy experts needed!

An asteroid that visited our Solar System from interstellar space is one of the most elongated celestial bodies known to science.

Tell us what you can about this strange object flying past us from outside our solar system. Do the theories about its elongated shape sound plausible to you? A frozen drop of metal from some ancient planetary disaster?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

its a monolith ejected when Jupiter became our 2nd sun

Comment

after our solar system formed material entered the system about 4 bya... I believe this material came from the nearby supernova responsible for the collapse and formation of our solar nebula about a 1/2 billion years earlier, the shockwaves reached us first followed later by actual debris. This could be part of that debris trail, but the article suggests or implies this object is coming thru for the first time. I think its been orbiting the sun for at least 4 billion years and is not a more recent arrival, but the speed and trajectory would suggest its here and going, going, gone. Not a regular member but shooting toward some other star. Planet 9 may have something to do with it, but I dont know how this object could be captured if its flying off at such speed as to escape the sun's gravity.

Comment

the other theory is of interest to me, a planetary collision exposed a rapidly spinning molten core squirting out an elongated molten chunk that froze into that position. That would also explain the objects fast rotation, but how did it get moving so quickly? That suggests this collision occurred outside the system. Maybe a rapidly spinning nearby star exploded and sent this object out to swing by us.

Comment

Alas, our astronomer is on a break from Poly...
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

The aliens missed us with their first Rods of God attempt ...

Comment

It is an interstellar probe, operating in a low power 'dark mode' to hide its true nature while it passively collects data on local civilizations.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

They've found us.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  It is an interstellar probe, operating in a low power 'dark mode' to hide its true nature while it passively collects data on local civilizations.

That is why the object passed so closely to earth.
                  Now we just have to wait for our new overlords to take possession of earth
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

This doesn't look good for us
                    Blah

Comment

"This... is our independence day! SAD!"
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

The Dyson Sphere just got 10 feet thicker!

Comment

It's here to establish contact with the Humpback whales.
                          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

But if it can't, it will destroy the planet
                            Blah

Comment

Well then, we should just start launching Humpbacks into space ... problem solved!

Comment

Working...
                              X