Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the gentleman spy a thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the gentleman spy a thing of the past?

That is the classic Bond guy of course -- educated, charming, witty, a connaisseur, but also sexist. Though the latter might not be a core part, rather a result of the genesis/success of Bond style guys during a time when a real man was still, hm, da man. Or something.

However, the gentleman spy seems to have died out. The recent Craig/Bond movies were all more realistic (or ermm "realistic"), more "dark" - but IMO overall less fun. Maybe it was time to replace old Bond character with something new, but now Bond seems to be just another action dude. Which is kinda boring, isn't it? I mean more "realism" works well for Bourne movies, but that was never what Bond was all about....

Wondering what they do with the next relaunch, if they just go on the same way after Craig I don't think I'm interested...at least more humour pls!

This is a very important matter. Discuss.
    Blah

There's always the supremely ridiculous Kingsman movies where "manners maketh man."
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Lorizael speaks true ... the Kingsman is the James Bond of the 2010s
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Rumor says that there might be a shebond - if that should happen, then what about the bond babes ?
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

lesbian

Comment

Do you honestly think there ever were gentlemen spies?
            Ian Fleming came from a "good family". When war broke out his mother found a safe position in naval intelligence for him. He spent the war thinking up clever gadgets for agents and coming up with innovative ideas to improve naval intelligence gathering, but he was never a field agent. That was the British idea of a gentleman spy, a well borne officer sending agents into harms way.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Kingsmen - seen the 1st, that was fun. Didn't watch the 2nd.

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
              Do you honestly think there ever were gentlemen spies?
              Like, in reality? We're talking movies. In reality there were probably as much gentlemen spies as chivalric nobles in the middle ages

Blah

Comment

Working...
              X