Moviethread #40958673

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moviethread #40958673

Alien Covenant was quite entertaing, did not have much of the philosophical ballast Prometheus had (which otoh is not per se a bad thing), higher tempo, more thrill and action. Except the 1st ca. 45 mins of Covenant which where more space voyage stuff (looked fantastic certainly).

Prometheus kinda wasted Charlize Theron though

Michael Fassbender was great in both movies. But then I like him in general, so I conclude he's always great

If I had to moan about Covenant I'd say some ... uhh .... developments were a tad predictable. Still it was good enough IMO to watch the next part which is IIRC confirmed already or even in the making (not sure).

Blah

Yes, it was a beautifully done movie. But as you say, TOTALLY PREDICTABLE. It was a fun romp, but some actual surprises would have been nice. Not only was the plot predictable, the script was even more predictable. However, like you, I will watch the next one.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I finally saw Wonder Woman in the second-run dollar theater, as part of our eight-year-anniversary date. It was . . . about as dumb as most other superhero movies, but not as bad as the worst of them. At least the jokes were good. Thankfully, the whole point was to get out of the house and be together without the kids. That part lived up to expectations. I'm not totally sure where the rave reviews came from.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Did Shelok feel the same? I've heard of a certain degree of gurlpowah positive response off the frequencies us fellers are wired for...
        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I liked it mostly for the very well crafted dick joke.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I didn't notice the well crafted dick...
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I bought a pair of high end motorcycling boots on ebay a few months ago. They were from a retailer who said that a movie production had ordered 200 pairs, but then changed their mind about the colour, cancelled the order and ordered another 200 in the colour they wanted. Apparently they paid for both orders, so the retailer was flogging off these high end boots for half price!

I had my suspicions about which movie... So when I watched Covenant I was keeping an eye on the footwear, and lo and behold, there were my boots! In celluloid! Or maybe digital, but whatever.

The reason I had my suspicions was this: A few years ago I was at my cousin's birthday party in Sydney. She's very arty, so there were lots of guests from the arts scene. One guy I was chatting with was working for Ridley Scott on sourcing materials and objects for props for Prometheus. He was full of praise for how Scott had an exact image in detail of every part of every set, and was very pedantic about getting it just so.

So you can see where my suspicions came from.

Good on you Ridley for sticking to your guns! It saved me $$$.

Comment

Because slasher film maker Steven C. Miller (Silent Night Deadly Night (2014), Dead End series, the high #ed Chuckie movies) likes shooting in my area, I've bought quite a bit of furniture from post production sales...
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
                  Did Shelok feel the same? I've heard of a certain degree of gurlpowah positive response off the frequencies us fellers are wired for...
                  If anything, she liked it less than I did. I felt it might have had potential at some point; she thought it was plain stupid from start to finish AFAIK, though she did laugh at some of the jokes, and said Gal Gadot did a good job.
                  1011 1100

Comment

I love the way Marvel used to weave ancient mythology into the origins of their superheroes. I think the Wonder Woman movie did that aspect justice, which I enjoyed a lot. So much, that it got me researching Amazonians. Quite an interesting history in itself.

Comment

Spoiler:
                      Eh, we got to the point where Diana's mom tells the story about Ares ten minutes in, and I leaned over to my wife and muttered, "well, now we know who the big fight at the end will be against." Likewise "you're really Zeus's kid" was so heavily hinted that the big reveal was quite meh. Now, granted, I know little of Wonder Woman comics lore beyond the part where she was created by a bondage fetishist (read it on Cracked), so maybe those two were common knowledge for most viewers anyway. But it would have been nice if they'd bucked the standard superhero movie formula just a little bit.
                      1011 1100

Comment

Personally I'm a bit fed up with superhero movies. There are a number I like, but I wished we would see more big budget movies with real humans. Oh well.

What I don't really get is the media coverage of Wonder Woman - I haven't seen it, so don't want to judge it, I'm just wondering if a female comic superhero/ine is really a much bigger thing for women than say Sigourney Weaver/Ripley in the Alien series, or Charlize Theron basically stealing the recent Mad Max movie. Or even the whole Jennifer Lawrence/Panem thing.

Well, what do I know
                        Blah

Comment

The line between super hero and action here, is very thin.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have a hard time buying it as a feminist statement, given the sheer number of slo-mo backflip leather-thong upskirt shots. It certainly had the potential to be subversive; it starts to say, "hmm, maybe it's not like a superhero comic; maybe not all problems can be solved by punching one big guy in the face." But it's clear from the beginning that they don't really mean it, and she's totally going to punch that guy in the face, and we're totally going to act like it means something. Also some moralizing that sounds oddly like a simplified version of Protestant theology, but I assume that's accidental.
                            1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              The line between super hero and action here, is very thin.
                              True, and a lot of action stuff isn't exactly more believable or "realistic" than comic super heroes or fantasy in general. OTOH my gripe with (many) super hero movies is that - usually - you know that in the end it's the super powers/abilities that will save the day.
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X