No announcement yet.

The Great American Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove down to Hopkinsville, Kentucky to get under the totality. Was amazing! Had glasses and a telescope with a filter. Could see the Sun spots before the full eclipse took place.

Once totality occurred, I was amazed at how dark it became. I've been in a partial solar eclipse before but being in a total eclipse is far darker. And the corona! Pictures and video will NEVER do it justice. Must see it for yourself.

Because I had the telescope, was also able to see some solar prominences as well.

Comment

Was that a sunspot or a coronal flare?
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If it was a dark spot on the face of the sun, it was a sunspot.

If it was a glowing spike or loop coming off the edge of the disk, it was a coronal flare.

If it was a dark spot that you are still seeing today, you forgot your eclipse glasses.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

There were three or so sunspots (that I spotted and which appear on some of the nicer photographs out there) running vertically in the upper right quadrant of the sun but fairly centrally located. (If I remember correctly.)

TMM, as to your shadow question, we had a meeting at work today where people talked about their eclipse experiences. One astronomer snapped a picture of his shadow near totality and noticed a very interesting effect, which is that his shadow was sharp along one orientation and fuzzy along a perpendicular orientation. The explanation is that the sun was becoming a point source east-west but was still a line north-south.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Under President Trump, America will be eclipsed by everyone!
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

For any who are interested, my thoughts on the eclipse.

(Spoilers for a 76 year old Isaac Asimov story, which you can read here for some reason.) "Nightfall" is one of my favorite Asimov storie...
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Pretty cool. How many people did you ultimately end up talking to? Did anyone else notice the ecliptic?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

At our viewing location, there was a photographer with a very nice camera setup who we traded pictures with. There was also a family who had recently moved to Greenville from the DC area, which was kind of amusing. There were a couple other parties at the baseball diamond, but none we made contact with. I pointed out Jupiter and Venus to the people I was with, but I don't think anyone else noticed the ecliptic.

Comment

I liek the word 'ecliptic.' It makes me feel all tingly inside.
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      For any who are interested, my thoughts on the eclipse.

http://anomalous-readings.blogspot.c...nightfall.html
                      That was really good

And...when do we go to Mars?

Blah

Comment

Thanks.

Ask Elon Musk.

Comment

Working...
                        X