No announcement yet.

Suspension of Disbelief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I may then pick up on lost fleet (have only read the first eleven volumes). Considering Pern - all you need to read is "Renegades of Pern"
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You can stop once they get married and move on to the spinoff.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, then I made a bad decision - already got the "beyond frontier" series last year. Assume you mean the lost stars series.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yeah, the lost star ones. Don't get me wrong, I'll still read any new original black jacks but the lost star ones are fresher.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
            I have always liked the idea of a medieval/renaissance fantasy setting where you slowly discover that the world is really far into the future where humanity has colonized extra-solar planets and this one has lost its high tech knowledge and regressed. The monsters are just aliens and or devolved humans and that magic is just misunderstood/lost high technology.
            Do you know "Dark Universe" from Daniel F. Galoye?

It isn't exactly colonists of a planet, but it contains this regression from High Tech to stone age.
            And it also contains a certain twist you won't find elsewhere
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
              Well, I may then pick up on lost fleet (have only read the first eleven volumes). Considering Pern - all you need to read is "Renegades of Pern"
              I re-read Renegades recently. It was pleasant enough, but it did seem kinda odd that, in this society where they mass-produce flamethrowers to fight thread, none of the outlaws nor their prey ever uses a projectile weapon of any kind. They push rocks onto the caravan, then charge into melee battle.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                I have always liked the idea of a medieval/renaissance fantasy setting where you slowly discover that the world is really far into the future where humanity has colonized extra-solar planets and this one has lost its high tech knowledge and regressed. The monsters are just aliens and or devolved humans and that magic is just misunderstood/lost high technology.
                Well then, I know this book you might like . . .
                1011 1100

Comment

Man, I haven't read any fiction in awhile. I should maybe get back to that.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Do you know "Dark Universe" from Daniel F. Galoye?

It isn't exactly colonists of a planet, but it contains this regression from High Tech to stone age.
                    And it also contains a certain twist you won't find elsewhere
                    I was thinking more the world from "Empire of the Petal Throne". It was an early role playing game by M.A.R. Barker. I thought the world it depicted was literally fantastic. Cersei Lannister has a lot in common with Nayari of the Silken Thighs. http://www.tekumel.com/
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      Man, I haven't read any fiction in awhile. I should maybe get back to that.
                      Read any Kameron Hurley? I just checked out one of hers from the library, to see what the fuss is about.
                      1011 1100

Comment

I found reality semi-believable up until the point we elected Trump ...

Comment

Derealization is a thing.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                            I have read far too many of the PERN novels considering that only the first 3 (or even only the first 1) were really good.

JM
                            Really? I liked the Harper Hall trilogy.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                            X