Looks like the Wall is on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the Wall is on the way

Whether people like it or not - it looks like Trump just got 1.6 billion dollars for the wall. Thoughts? I myself am torn, on the one hand I understand people want to come here for opportunities and the current system of immigration is broken. On the other hand, it is the law technically, and people should not just break the law whenever they want to.

Even IF you are a supporter of the wall...
    It's not going to do much anyway. It's just a Trump Symbol, and nothing else. A total waste of money.
    There are better uses for the money.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
      Even IF you are a supporter of the wall...
      It's not going to do much anyway. It's just a Trump Symbol, and nothing else. A total waste of money.
      There are better uses for the money.
      Thank you for responding. =)

You might be right but like I said I am on the fence. Supposedly the wall will include sensors, scanners, and drones btw.

The Raptor ground surveillance radar has “werewolf positioning” to detect a human being up to seven miles away. The quantum sensor uses seismic-acoustic energy to provide “360 degrees spheres of awareness”. The astrophysics x-ray scanners make “hidden threats visible”. The long range acoustic device lets you shout “highly intelligible warnings” across a desert plain.

Welcome to America. Or not, if you’re crossing illegally from Mexico.
      Annual gathering in Texas had a sense of urgency and giddiness this year and was a sobering reminder that immigration policy is on the verge of transforming

If the wall was made more effective with this tech and drones, would that change your mind at all?

Comment

No... far more money than it's worth. It's just a campaign symbol and nothing else. What a joke.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I can't wait for when the government inevitably need ten times that amount.

Comment

If it has drones, sensors and the like, it surely also will need a lot of money for mainttenance / upkeep.
            And I am sure, Mexico won't pay for it
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

MAGA man is a troll and a discredit to the acronym he or she but definitely he tarnished by daring to even deign that the wall could possibly not be the pinnacle of human achievement.

Comment

They can't build it fast enough.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Keep Sloww out of Mexico!!!
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

No worries there.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I look forward to the increased dividend payouts from wall building/running contractors.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Well according to the Republicans it is more then about money. Lives are at stake. Just recently an illegal immigrant who snuck into the country 7 times killed a father of three in a drunk driving accident:

(Daily Mail) – An illegal immigrant, who has been removed from the United States seven times, had consumed ’12 beers and was driving at 100mph’ when he crashed his van and killed a father-of-three.

Nemias Garcia-Velasco, 32, who is from Mexico, was going over 100mph when he lost control of his 2001 Dodge Ram work van and crashed, killing 58-year-old Silvano Torres.
                        http://www.wnd.com/2017/07/illegal-d...of-3-in-crash/

There are other examples:

• May 2017 — Oscar De La Rosa-Mendoza, 31, of Mission — a Mexican citizen who wasn't lawfully present in the United States — pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated, a Class B misdemeanor, on May 9. (CBS News, May 18, 2017)
                        • May 2017 — Carlos Santiago-Alvarez, 41, of Holyoke, was sentenced Monday to six to eight years in state prison followed by five years probation in a child rape case. (Mass Live, May 4, 2017)
                        • April 2017 — Ignacio Luque-Verdugo, 32, was convicted Friday in Adams County District Court of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder charges. (Denver Channel, April 18, 2017)
                        • April 2017 — Four Charlotte-area members of the El Salvadoran gang MS-13 were convicted on Tuesday of federal racketeering charges. (Charlotte Observer, April 18, 2017)
                        • April 2017 — Pablo Gonzales Sanchez will spend at least 18 years in prison for molesting a young teenage girl an estimated 50 times. The girl's mother, an illegal alien, has also been sentenced to prison for not reporting her daughter's allegations of abuse. Both she and Sanchez also were ordered to be added to the Sex Offender Registry. (Shelby Star, April 11, 2017)
                        • April 2017 — Abdirahman P. Sahel was sentenced Monday, April 10, to 20 years in prison for sexually assaulting and terrorizing a young woman nearly four years ago. (Jamestown Sun, April 11, 2017)
                        • April 2017 — Gil Gaxiola was convicted of first-degree attempted murder of a National Park Service employee, as well as armed robbery, three counts of aggravated assault, kidnapping and theft of means of transportation, following an 11-day trial. (Wilcox Range News, April 1, 2017)

http://www.fairus.org/issue/examples...illegal-aliens

Like I said I am not sure about it, but I have met a lot of illegal immigrants who do have the attitude that since this is not their country, they do not have to follow our laws. Many have a general disregard for the law in general, and I even had to call the cops on one several times for vandalizing my property. My neighbor had an illegal immigrant family who was stealing his trash cans and recycling barrels. I don't go out of my way to look for these people either. I know there are good ones, and it sucks to lump them in, but in general, I have found they do have the attitude of "your laws do not apply to us." I am not sure if this is common behavior where they come from, but here we are supposed to have rule of law.

As for cost, the government budget is 3.8 trillion. The wall, at most will be 22 billion. That is less then a one percent increase, more like a 0.5 percent increase, and it would generate jobs. It could also save money on border security as well by reducing crimes committed. Also if they are not paying their fair share of taxes (and I have worked payroll before, so I very much suspect they lie to avoid taxes seeing as many had full time jobs but were still collecting food stamps). Also a lot of the money they earn does not stay in the US but is sent back to Mexico. So the wall could end up paying for itself, in fact more then paying for itself.

Again I feel sorry for anyone genuinely looking for opportunities, but perhaps this wall could help us reform our broken immigration system. It is simply dangerous and expensive to have tens or hundreds of thousands of people coming in here illegally however, especially if they end up detained (keeping them in jail can also be expensive and if they end up in the ER, that is very expensive).

Comment

I wonder how many lives could be saved if carrying weapons in public space (both, open as well as concealed) would be forbidden in all states of the USA
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                            I wonder how many lives could be saved if carrying weapons in public space (both, open as well as concealed) would be forbidden in all states of the USA
                            Not sure man. They estimate something like 2000 guns are smuggled over the border illegally each day.

According to a recent report (pdf) on arms trafficking by Mexico's governmental research service, known as the CESOP, an estimated 2,000 weapons illegally enter Mexico from the United States every day. The report says 85 percent of the approximately 15 million weapons that were in circulation in Mexico in 2012 were illegal.
                            http://www.insightcrime.org/news-ana...rder-every-day

If the wall prevented that, it would save lives in both the US and Mexico. It would reduce crime in Mexico as well.

Comment

The wall is estimated to cost $40 billion and there are always cost over runs. Always. $1.6 billion is nice, if it passes both the house and the senate, which seems doubtful, but, no, this will not get the wall built.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X