Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leavng car and/or house doors unlocked

I found some passages in an article about right-wing harrassment:
    One voice mail -- "You are surprisingly easy to find on the Internet. And in real life" -- ended Gersh's lifelong practice of leaving her home and car unlocked in her little Montana town, nestled by a lake in the Rocky Mountains.
    Tanya Gersh was targeted by anti-Semitic neo-Nazi internet trolls in a campaign of hate she says was launched by The Daily Stormer website.

That makes me curious ... there really are still people in western nations, who leave their house/car doors unlocked?

This, honestly, sounds crazy to me
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

sup.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I lived for 6 months in a house that had no door locks except I think on the bathroom. In many places in the US home security is more about having friendly neighbors, dogs, and guns.

Comment

When we were growing up in the 60's just outside of Chicago, we were the ONLY house in the neighborhood that locked their doors during the day. Our neighbors thought my mother was paranoid. Now it's more rare. But during the day, if I"m home, the back door is usually unlocked.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In 2015/2016 when we lived at Fermilab in Batavia we pretty much never locked our doors (house or car).

I have an old beat up car, and have forgotten to lock it or roll up the window in the city a couple of times too... but we live in a nice neighborhood of Chicago.

Growing up, for the earlier years we didn't lock our doors so much. When my siblings had crackhead friends/etc we started locking our doors. We lived in a rural area or small town of 1700.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Fascinating ... I always lived in large cities in Ruhr-Valley.
            Here you would be called stupid if you wouldn't lock the doors all the time (unless maybe your house would be surrounded by a fence/wall that cannot be climbed easily) (even the house door leading to he common hallway of multi appartment buildings (with each appartment having its own lockable door) would usually be locked)

(And actually, non locked house doors would really be an invitation to thieves here. Especially considering the fact that here you don't have many neighborhoods where neighbors actually are emotionally cose together ... instead it is (aside from small things like receiiving packages for the neighbors if they are not at home) each one minding his own business. So, (unless you actually caught someone using a crowbar on a neighbors door or smashing open a window) your would never be sure if people entering and leaving a neighbors home are legally there or not (annd give it the benefit of doubt))
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Having had my car broken into several times, I leave the door unlocked. Windows get expensive.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

So far I had the best poast in this thrade.
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I just close the door, but hardly ever really lock it. It's a so called security door supposed to be not so easy to open for ehrmrm "unauthorized ppl".

Though 2 or 3 yrs ago I left in a rather absent-minded condition to check for post (just a few steps), and voila - due to strong wind the door closed, leaving me outside without keys and probably a very silly facial expression.

I went to the neighbours, phoned some service, and (after a painful time of waiting) a service guy came along, fiddled something like 90 seconds on the door, and had it open. I had to pay him 60 bucks for it, which is rather cheap, some of those services charge the hell out of ppl, esp. at weekend or night times.
                  Blah

Comment

One time I had to shoulder my own apartment door -- I had forgotten my keys, the door locked automatically, I was late for work (second shift, about 2200), and this was in my pre-cell phone days.

After that I only ever used the deadbolt, a practice I've carried through to today.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                      ... the door locked automatically, ...
                      Standard here in germany for house and appartment doors as well ... after the door closes, you cannot open it from the outsie again, without having a key

Comment

I do leave my car doors unlocked, but I'm not yet silly enough to leave the keys anywhere nearby.

I figure that if they pull off the highway (I live on a 60 mph two lane road) five miles from the nearest town, drive down my one hundred foot driveway, and then try my car doors, the fact that they're locked isn't going to stop them.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I always keep my car and house doors locked. For me it's mostly just routine. I recognize that determined thieves can bypass whatever security measures I employ.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I lament that booby traps (especially lethal ones) are illegal.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Here you better hope the thieves/burglars doesn't steal anything when they use an unlocked door - insurance doesn't pay if they do.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X