Where do you get your news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you get your news?

Not a poll, an open-ended survey. I'm lazy, so I tend to just skim BBC or whatever because they don't clickbait as egregiously as some. I supplement with fivethirtyeight. I used to check out the Atlantic until they refused to let in people with ad-blockers. As a matter of principle I refuse either to put up with some creepy bot tracking what I do and offering sales suggestions (which is what made me get the ad-blocker) or to circumvent their ad-blocker-blocker. Where do you go?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

For intl/english language I use the Bibs as well for quick news check.

Just recently I visited CNN for the first time in years only to find out that they have "cool" videos autostarting on pages which then flub to the top right corner as mini version when you scrolll down
    Blah

Comment

Yeah, auto-playing crapvids are a major turnoff. Also, anything about stupid crap Trump tweeted and why it is awesome/not that bad/deplorable. Or anything about "[some political figure] says SOMETHING REALLY MEAN about Trump and we should all give each other high-fives!" Basically, 90% of all Trump related material is not news.
      1011 1100

Comment

I have a subscription on two of those thingies where you put black stuff on some white stuff. One daily and one weekly with more in-depth stuff. A couple of local web newspapers, bbc for international news and other sites when links to them (fox news only when I'm in the mood for a laugh and a cry over human stupidity).
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Bloomberg, Vox, The Economist, The Atlantic, The Washington Post, The New Yorker, The New York Times, fivethirtyeight.

Occasionally, when I am feeding what is probably an addiction: Huffington Post, BBC and Slate.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Several english (like BBC, NYT, CNN) and german (like WAZ, NTV) news sites.

Since Trumps rise to power I also occasionally look at Fox and Breitbart, just in order to be informed what gets sprad by the alt-right proopaganda
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Kidlicious
              Kidlicious commented
              Editing a comment
              Fox isn't alt-right, and Breitbart isn't pro-Trump propaganda. It's anti-left news. They criticize Trump in the rare case when he isn't criticized by the left.

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Not a poll, an open-ended survey. I'm lazy, so I tend to just skim BBC or whatever because they don't clickbait as egregiously as some. I supplement with fivethirtyeight. I used to check out the Atlantic until they refused to let in people with ad-blockers. As a matter of principle I refuse either to put up with some creepy bot tracking what I do and offering sales suggestions (which is what made me get the ad-blocker) or to circumvent their ad-blocker-blocker. Where do you go?
            All of your sources are fake news.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Ny local paper which leans a tad right. The normal broadcast stations that lean a little left.
              Skim the on-line sites for a mixed bag and then come to poly for a crap summary.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I get my news from anywhere that is willing to pay Facebook enough money to reach me.

Comment

I've been trying to get my news solely from comedy sources recently. Not because it's better or lefty, but because the world is ****ty and if I have to keep abreast of the ****tiness, I at least want to be able to laugh about it a little. Mostly I don't read news and instead read science/philosophy stuff.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

That's probably the best answer.

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

But then you're missing out on fascinating news like this!
                      1011 1100

Comment

Oh god, that story. What a ****ty ****ing world.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think most "news" is just noise.

I get most of my news from the blogs I frequent. If something is really newsworthy they will mention it in some way and I can investigate further if I'm interested.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

french english and greek papers mostly.

french is difficult, english is monodimensional and greek is blind, generally speaking

Comment

Working...
                            X