X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skynet stopped by good guy with a....

....keyboard!

Related to the most recent large scale cyber attack of course:

(...) The ransomware has wreaked havoc on organizations including FedEx and Telefonica, as well as the UK’s National Health Service (NHS), where operations were cancelled, x-rays, test results and patient records became unavailable and phones did not work. However, a UK cybersecurity researcher tweeting as @malwaretechblog, with the help of Darien Huss from security firm Proofpoint, found and activated a “kill switch” in the malicious software.

The switch was hardcoded into the malware in case the creator wanted to stop it spreading. This involved a very long nonsensical domain name that the malware makes a request to – just as if it was looking up any website – and if the request comes back and shows that the domain is live, the kill switch takes effect and the malware stops spreading.

“I saw it wasn’t registered and thought, ‘I think I’ll have that’,” he is reported as saying. The purchase cost him $10.69. Immediately, the domain name was registering thousands of connections every second. (...)
    full: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...e-cyber-attack

Ransomware (good news: if you can post today without probs your machine has not been affected )
    Last edited by BeBMan; May 13, 2017, 03:53.
    Blah

The damage has been done howevar; the perpetrators likely made millions of dollars from the ransoms.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Blah

Comment

It and lots of clones will probably be back soon without the kill switch, so get updated.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4497092-cool-guy-with-hat-playing-on-tiny-keyboard-Stock-Photo.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	9324177
          Attached Files

Comment

Is this a reference to the ESC today? With some luck it might be less devastating than this cyber assault....
            Blah

Comment

I bet Aeson is behind this!

Any man who would force teletubby avatars on to other people clearly has no morals.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's kind of weird that these world-toppling schemes are being perpetrated to get the cumbersome currency of bitcoin. I get why that is--they couldn't hope to collect anything else--but it's like a James Bond villain putting a doomsday laser in orbit so he can corner the market in Chuck E. Cheese tokens. Couldn't they just cook meth or something?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  I bet Aeson is behind this!

Any man who would force teletubby avatars on to other people clearly has no morals.
                  You can have your avatar back for just $124.99 ... act now before the next hourly price increase!

Comment

Couldn't you encrypt Oerdins postings and let him have a non teletubby avatar until he pays ?
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

...friendly AI.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The good guy with a keyboard read Aeson's first post in this thread and agrees

Most media say it's criminals behind it, but this sounds way too banal, so my top conspiracy theory is that Microsoft is behind it to errr 'remind' ppl to abandon old OS's and buy Win 10.

Blah

Comment

Working...
                        X