My brother died, and . . . well . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother died, and . . . well . . .

Got a call at 6 AM this morning. It was my mom. She said she had bad news, and to brace myself: my brother Chris died in his sleep last night. He was forty-five, and we still don't know what happened. My mother, naturally, was quite upset. I was, um, vaguely sad. Because I barely knew him. The last significant conversation I had with Chris was maybe ten years ago.

Chris and I were very different people, and we never really got along growing up. My other brother once summed up Chris's favorite things as "beer, cars, and Marvin the Martian," which is pretty accurate. He didn't like fussy little nerds, and as a general rule he just ignored or went around things he didn't like. I was a fussy little nerd--honestly, I was a sullen brat a lot of the time, I can hardly blame him. It was just how he was. Around my late teens he made a heroic effort to bond with me, I think partly because of my mom nagging him. Not sure. He took me out to places every now and then, like go-karts. Eventually that petered off and I went to college. He and other brother took me out drinking on my twenty-first, trying to get me to hurl, just as a rite-of-passage thing. Didn't see him after that until my wedding, which again I think he only attended because of Mom. He said maybe three words to me, went off to play with my brother's kids.

He liked kids. Really, really liked them. He never had any himself--he said he was too selfish to be a parent--but he loved playing with his nephews and nieces. Except mine. I had vague hopes that we could patch things up when my first son was born, but every time he stopped by to visit (he spent the last decade and change of his life in Colorado, for the skiing) he made no attempt to communicate with me. Eventually we happened to meet. He was falling-down drunk, and on meeting my baby son he loudly muttered, "Jesus, I can't believe that guy had a kid." He then realized he'd been audible, and followed up with a loud, "I'm sorry, ****, I'm sorry, out of line, I just . . ." (damn-I'm-wasted shake of the head). He never met my second son; that might have been the last time I met him in person. I haven't told either that their Uncle Chris is dead. It wouldn't mean anything to them if I did.

I saw him on FB; he was friends with a lot of my family and friends, and posted on their stuff. I considered sending a friend request every now and then, but always told myself, "Dude, he doesn't like you. Take the hint." I wasn't really angry at him while he was alive. Chris was Chris. He didn't go out of his way to be mean, just didn't bother pretending to be friends. Now that he's gone, I can't really cry for him. I cry a little, but mostly for what was missed. It's a kind of self-pity mixed with anger. My kids never got to meet Uncle Chris. They would have loved Uncle Chris, and he would have loved them. But nope. Didn't like their dad, so **** "that guy's" kids. What the hell, man. I probably could have tried harder to mend fences, but it always felt like it would only have been so much wasted effort, so much straining and pretense, and now it can't be done.

Most of the time, that's how I feel. Sometimes, I cry, and I'm damned if I could tell you why. Maybe I remember that guy who did some cool stuff with me when I was seventeen. I think he was my brother. But it was a long time ago. I went to work today, briefly lost composure, but pulled it together and did an eight-hour shift without anybody appearing to notice anything was wrong. Which, in itself, seems deeply ****ed up. Sooner or later I'm going to have to meet up with my family, and I won't be able to hide the fact that my brother was a stranger and, for his own sake, I can't bring myself to care beyond feeling petty and angry. I don't think I hid it all that well during my talk with Mom. I'd already planned a vacation and used paid time off to reserve the last half of May. I still want to take it, but by the tail end of May I'll be long over this. I don't know what to do.
    Last edited by Elok; April 28, 2017, 02:11. Reason: Stupid typo
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe he was just as tentative about trying to make friends, even if I never read him that way. What do I know? I didn't know him.
    1011 1100

Comment

I am sorry, both for your families loss and for what could have been.

JM
      (and I have some similar distant relationships from people in my family... often just people not making the effort to mend a small break in a fence results in the destruction of the whole fence... and there are people in my family I just have very little in common with)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm sorry this happened, Elok. I think it's important not to beat yourself up over how you feel. You have the emotions you have, and the way you react to circumstances can only be adjusted incrementally over the long-term. So I see two ways to respond right now: (1) realize that it's not terribly unusual to have not altogether strong feelings about someone who's a stranger. He's a stranger who happened to be related to you, but that's the way it goes sometimes; there's no reason why we should be forced to be close to people we don't have a lot in common with; or (2) use this as a push to strengthen any other familial (or other) bonds that have been neglected in order to enrich your life (and then naturally perhaps feel more like you think you should feel if future terrible circumstances arise).
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

My condolences.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sorry for you loss Elok. I agree with what Lorizael said.

Comment

It can take a long time to sort out your feelings when your relationship with the deceased was complex/frustrating/etc.

Try not to feel bad about being confused; we all get that, and we're rooting for you.
              AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
              JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I don't think I'm beating myself up, I just needed to vent that. Thanks for listening.
                1011 1100

Comment

Even if you didn't get along make an effort to go to the funeral for your mother's sake if nothing else. What is done is done but you can still try to be the better man and supportive of your family.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't think anybody expects me to fly across the country to get to the funeral. Not sure if he'll have a funeral per se. He wasn't remotely religious and generally wasn't into ceremony ("I don't like Christmas. I mean, I'm cool with the giving presents thing, but I don't need all this ho-ho happy holiday bull****!"). Neither was his wife. Probably the "funeral" will consist of his ski buddies going out to [name of local bar] and raising a fantastic number of glasses to ol' Chris. I have no place in such an arrangement.

Anyway, I talked with mom, and she gets it, so crisis averted there.
                    1011 1100

Comment

My sympathies to you and your family, Elok.

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Comment

Sorry to hear this, Elok. Best wishes to you and your family.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Hey man, sorry to hear this. I hope you're doing okay on the whole.

Comment

I'm doing all right, really. I'll be heading up to MD with the family for the tail end of May, so my Mom can have some time with the grandkids and dispel the gloom. It was actually pretty good timing; I requested this block of time off from work weeks ago.
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X