Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we prepare the Arachnid Quarantine Zone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we prepare the Arachnid Quarantine Zone?

New data from the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Gaia mission has given astronomers unprecedented accuracy in predicting that Gliese 710, a K-spectral type star a little more than half the size of our Sun, will cross into our solar system’s Oort Cloud of comets some 1.35 million years from now.

According to a paper recently published in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics, Gliese 710 will swipe through a swath of the Oort Cloud’s estimated few trillion comets, which in turn circle our solar system at distances of up to a light year.

(...)

“Gliese 710 will trigger an observable cometary shower with a mean density of approximately ten comets per year, lasting for three to 4 million years,” the co-authors write.

(...)
    full: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedo.../#3480fdfe27b6

Sounds like Gliese 710 is the true home of Klendathu, from where the Arachnids deflect meteors towards earth using plasma bugs! At least in da movie....
    Blah

I can't wait!

Comment

I welcome our new arachnid overlords.

Comment

In Australia, no matter the question, the answer is always "giant spiders".
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Join the mobile infantry and save the planet. Service guarantees citizenship.
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Working...
          X