Do any doctors still post here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any doctors still post here?

So last night at work I started having some mild chest pain, a kind of hot, fresh bruise sensation on the left side of my chest. I ignored it for half an hour or so and then started to get dizzy and light-headed, so I stood up to go splash some water on my face, but only made it a few feet before slumping to the floor. If I lost consciousness, it was only for half a second. But I was clammy and buzzy and weak, so I decided to stay put. Boss came over, called 911, ambulance took me to the ER. I was there until 4 in the morning as they did blood tests, EKG, and a chest x-ray. No identifiable source, just "unspecified chest pain." It was not a heart attack. My main reason for deciding to go to the ER, even though it didn't feel like what I've heard a heart attack feels like, is because I have family history working against me; my father has had two heart attacks and heart disease is a thing for us. Because of the family history, the ER doc recommended I go see a cardiologist.

During one of the times they were drawing blood, the nurse couldn't get the IV to work, so straight drew from a fresh vein instead. I nearly fainted then and went into what the physician's aide said looked like vasovagal syncope (which felt very similar to the original fainting spell), which is a thing that can apparently just happen in high stress situations. So my working hypothesis is that for some reason I freaked out over having chest pain (because I've always worried that my poor self-care and family history would catch up with me) and drove myself into a kind of anxiety-induced fainting spell. Maybe. I'm not a doctor.

Anyway, I haven't scheduled an appointment with the cardiologist yet, because I slept through most of today. Tired, weak, and a headachey because they wouldn't let me eat while they were doing the blood tests. So in the meantime, does anyone else have any speculative, inexpert, unsubstantiated ideas for what happened to me? Anyone ever had anything similar happen?

Also, I hope this Obamacare thing works. Otherwise I'm probably screwed.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I'm a doctor... OF STYLE LOL!
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I am no medic, but the dizzyness and losss of consciusnesss definitely sound like a disturbed bloodflow to your brain.

Did the medics do an exercise EKG with you?
      (i.e. with you on a hometrainer, in order to test the adaptation of your hearts activity to physical strain)
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Quite possible that an anxiety attack could do that. What is your blood pressure like.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I've had a few episodes like that...never got it checked out. But I didn't have the chest pain, so... I'm not much help. Carry on

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
            I am no medic, but the dizzyness and losss of consciusnesss definitely sound like a disturbed bloodflow to your brain.

Did the medics do an exercise EKG with you?
            (i.e. with you on a hometrainer, in order to test the adaptation of your hearts activity to physical strain)
            I think we call that a cardiac stress test. Didn't do that, because I think they concluded pretty early on that it probably wasn't a heart attack. The EMTs did an EKG in the ambulance and came up with a normal sinus rhythm. The only wonky thing was my blood pressure.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

I think we call that a cardiac stress test. Didn't do that, because I think they concluded pretty early on that it probably wasn't a heart attack. The EMTs did an EKG in the ambulance and came up with a normal sinus rhythm. The only wonky thing was my blood pressure.
              Well, if I were you I would let a thorough checkupü get performed on me.

Actually, if I had such an episodxe and told my general practicioner about it, I am sure that such a cardiac stress tesst would be the first thing he would arrange for.
              (and actually, in germany, our health insurance would cover the full costs of it ... dunno how it is in the USA ... I guess in the land of the free, doctors and insurance companies are free to let the patients pay hundreds of dollars for it, depending on the conditions in the healthcare insurance contract)
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I am not a doctor but I second the panic attack hypothesis.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I am not a doctor either and I have no idea.

However I suggest lunch with a young lady to see if that does anything any good.

Comment

Strangelove did post a while ago...IIRC he's a real doc?
                    Blah

Comment

Yeah, Strangelove and Guynemer are the only medical doctors I'm aware of that are members.

Comment

I have seen a lot of posts by Guynemer.

I think he would prescribe more Cowbell.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, I made an appointment with a cardiologist. We'll see how that goes. Until then I need to find some method of stress relief, because I haven't really had an appetite since Monday and have been worried/aggravated by lots of little things.

Comment

Try farting moar... that always helps me!
                            Order of the Fly
                            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Doctors are a scam. Have you tried homeopathy?

Comment

Working...
                              X