Struggling with B-School Essays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with B-School Essays

I took the GMAT last weekend and scored a 760. So, even though the Round 3 deadlines for B-school are approaching, I do have a chance to make the classes starting this fall. I am assuredly not comparable to many other candidates but as a military officer working at JPMorgan, 3.6+ undergrad GPA, and a 760 GMAT, I should have a chance to get into one of the better schools if I apply to enough of them (targeting Harvard, Columbia, Sloan, and Wharton).

That is, if I can get past these essays! Surprisingly, I have been able to come up with something for the school with a more open-ended topic (like HBS's 'what more would you like us to know about you?'), but the more directed essay questions, particularly involving my career goals, are very challenging.

I view sample essays and I see a lot of very specific career aspirations: someone wants to be an Associate Vice President of Information Technology for CISCO (how specific!) or they are passionate about a particular industry like the healthcare industry or private equity or the entertainment industry.

It occurred to me that I have no such career goals. I am a challenge seeker and a collector of accomplishments. I want to get into a top program which will open the doors to the next level of challenges and 'let me rack them cheevos' as they say on the XBOX. I am indifferent to profession and industry. I am not passionate about any; at least, I do not believe I am.

I have considered bypassing the question but I am not sure how well that would go over. For example, I could bluntly say that I have no specific career aspirations because I want to explore, see what else is out there, and what else I can do. An MBA would give me that opportunity. Will this approach be a mistake?

Another challenging type of essay question is best represented by Booth's: "View this collection of shared Booth moments. Choose the moment that best resonates with you and tell us why." I looked at the pictures and I felt nothing. Am I supposed to feel touched or inspired? Talk about a difficult essay!

Any advice and general thoughts are appreciated!
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

I will only help if you translate that post into Vocaroo.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      I looked at the pictures and I felt nothing.
      Pretty sure most MBA programs are looking for sociopaths, so you're on the right track here. You should be honest about feeling nothing, but the trick is you can't be obvious about being honest. Sociopaths who can't effectively hide their total disregard for other humans aren't useful in the business world.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Have you learned to swim yet?

Comment

I have, in the past two years. It's really not that hard, you just chuck yourself in over and over again and figure out what works to push yourself forward. I still can't float for anything, but I can swim okay. Al should try it.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            For example, I could bluntly say that I have no specific career aspirations because I want to explore, see what else is out there, and what else I can do. An MBA would give me that opportunity. Will this approach be a mistake?
            Yes.

Don't speak of the title you seek. Talk about what you want to do. If necessary, make up a story. Like you want to become a manager at a military contracting company.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

If you can't do this, you don't belong in business school.

It is a core skill.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                If you can't do this, you don't belong in business school.

It is a core skill.

JM
                This...

If all you can say when people are looking for your ability to inspire others is "I am not interested" then getting an MBA is a pointless endeavour.
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I want to see a Vocaroo poast in this thrade and I want to see one soon.
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Do you have any hobbies?
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I'm one of the developers of the Age of Empires 2 DLC's, The African Kingdoms and Rise of the Rajas.
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Geeze. if you lack the basic ability to make something up that will improve your odds, I suggest a different career path.
                        I'm not sure what's worse, you inability on this task or coming here for inspiration.
                        Man up and just lie like any good manager.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Just ignore the prompt and talk about your fear of dogs and your love of Age of Empires 2 modding

Comment

Also, use Vocaroo because AAHZ is illiterate.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              Man up and just lie like any good manager.
                              You could argue that this is the core ability they want to see evidence of.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X