Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth/Universe is not a giant simulation

...like it was thought to be the case in "Hitchhiker's Guide..."

What's really going on is nothing more than advanced aliens ( like "Q") using the universe for entertainment purposes, just like we use computer games. So for them aliens, it's a giant Civ style game.

"Bah, you think your planet/civ is advanced?!? My civ is about to pwn yours big time in a couple of aeons!".

"Hehe, keep dreaming. Your guys can hardly walk upright, mine have the wheel already. Just a bit more and they'll get to use warp drives!"

The problem is of course that those aliens could lose interest and pull the plug. That is the point when we're doomed....

Discuss.

Blah

So with other words ... it is a giant simulation ... just for entertainment purposes ... yes, I think so ...
    altough I guess, what our overlords are playing is rather "The Sims" than "Civ"
    (although both are not mutually exclusive ... maybe some are playing Civ with the nations ... and others The Sims with individuals)

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.

Comment

I think a lot of people have the feeling that a simulated universe and a universe created by a god are not the same thing, but I've never quite been able to figure out what the significant difference would be.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I just farted.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            I think a lot of people have the feeling that a simulated universe and a universe created by a god are not the same thing, but I've never quite been able to figure out what the significant difference would be.
            A god usually demands your worship (annd will punish you if you don't)
            The chance is less likely in a simulated universe
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

A programmer could demand worship, and there are gods that don't. That doesn't seem like a fundamental difference.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

who debugs god's program?

Comment

God.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                  X