Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had thought authoritarianism would see such a renaissance in the early 21st century?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who had thought authoritarianism would see such a renaissance in the early 21st century?

And whether it's Russia, Turkey or the US, a good part of the ppl seems to welcome it. It might even go further, if some of the so-called "populists" (which are often simply demagogues) in Europe get their way.

Who is to blame? The elites, the media, the financial crisis, capitalism or any other -ism in general, virulent hysteria and stupidity, or was it all Bush's fault? Discuss.
    Blah

It makes sense, its basically exactly the point where all the people who remember WW2 are either dead or old and senile. Everyone just thinks 'That could never happen in our lifetime!' like ****ing morons.

Comment

Eh, forgot the "l" in early. Wasn't it possible to edit thread titles - not anymore it seems.
      Blah

Comment

• Ming
        Ming commented
        Editing a comment
        Taken care of

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
      And whether it's Russia, Turkey or the US, a good part of the ppl seems to welcome it. It might even go further, if some of the so-called "populists" (which are often simply demagogues) in Europe get their way.

Who is to blame? The elites, the media, the financial crisis, capitalism or any other -ism in general, virulent hysteria and stupidity, or was it all Bush's fault? Discuss.
      Did you drink some kool-aid? Where did you hear this crap?
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Thanks Ming!
        Blah

Comment

The US is authoritarian is it? You waited a whole 12 days into the new administration to declare that?

Hint:. We still have all the checks and balances we always had though right now one part controls all three branches because the other party is too incompetent to do anything right.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post

The US is authoritarian is it? You waited a whole 12 days into the new administration to declare that?

Hint:. We still have all the checks and balances we always had though right now one part controls all three branches because the other party is too incompetent to do anything right.
            I'd agree that US is not a fixed authoritarian system yet, but I do see authoritarian tendencies in the current administration.
            Blah

Comment

In part it's because of free markets.
              They have repeadedly catastrophic results.

On the wider scheme though, it is about the loss of direction and/or drive that western societies face.
              There have been excellent diatribes written about how authoritatism "regains control of a nation's destiny"

It is no an amoeba but has now direction and identity.

Unfortunately all these diatribes were written by nazi enthousiasts in the '30s so they are worthless
              but they explain some things

Risque populiste»

Mais de quoi le retour de Carl Schmitt est-il le signe ? «Certes, la pensée de Carl Schmitt se construit sur une critique du libéralisme qui trouve des échos à notre époque non seulement parce qu’il y a une certaine exaspération antilibérale, notamment liée au fait que le politique exprime son impuissance face à la mondialisation économique, remarque Marie Goupy, directrice de programme au Collège international de philosophie (7). Malheureusement, je crois aussi que l’intérêt pour Schmitt dit quelque chose du risque de réponse populiste, sinon fasciste à cette exaspération et ce, non pas à gauche, mais dans l’ensemble de la société. C’est précisément ce risque que beaucoup d’auteurs de gauche veulent analyser.» D’autant que la pensée ne peut être une conversation entre gens de bonne compagnie. Surtout, elle doit permettre d’appréhender l’autre, celui qui pense différemment et se révèle hostile, voire ennemi.

http://www.liberation.fr/debats/2016...ennemi_1470100
              Last edited by Bereta_Eder; February 3, 2017, 08:43.

Comment

I'd agree that US is not a fixed authoritarian system yet, but I do see authoritarian tendencies in the current administration.
                You equated the US to Nazi Germany so please go with that other Jack ads to the loony bin.

Comment

"Someone wrote something I don't like"
                  Blah

Comment

the only one outside of the loonie bin is kid

Comment

My current feeling--and admittedly, my feelings on the matter change rather frequently--is that Trump would very much like to be an authoritarian, but lacks the competence to pull it off. Apparently we just insulted Australia for some ****ing reason . . .
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"Someone wrote something I don't like"
                        There is a difference between calling someone who just told a ridiculous lie and doubled down on it a lunatic and calling someone Hitler because he said he grabs women's genitals.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

There is a difference between calling someone who just told a ridiculous lie and doubled down on it a lunatic and calling someone Hitler because he said he grabs women's genitals.
                          Authoritarian is not automatically the same as Totalitarian. So no, I did not make a Hitler/Nazi ref.

Blah

Comment

Besides, that's what I do

Anyway trump's election has energized all the healthy parts of american society to get out and do stuff. a basis for a more honest (and violent) discussion
                            rather refreshing
                            he's not gonna last long, or he'llturn his country to a pariah. one or the other.
                            (called it)

Comment

Working...
                            X