Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's Resolutions 2017

Some things I have been thinking about a lot that I need to change:

1. Eating healthier. No more meat. I will miss it, but in regards to environmental and personal health issues I can't justify it. I keep putting this off, and have actually regressed the past couple years. No longer! I will be eating only what we grow, with some small exceptions to cover possible nutrient deficiencies (like iodized salt) and timing difficulties (fruit trees that haven't matured yet). Eggs are ok, and we have chickens towards that end. (Native ones that are allowed to roam freely). Milk is out, as we don't produce it currently. We will have goats and can eventually have milk and cheese that way.

2. Related to the above, I will spend more time out in nature. Whether working or just relaxing.

3. Related to the above, in that perhaps it will make this possible ... this year the garden will be profitable, in that we will increase production and give raises.

4. A more regular sleeping schedule. 5:30am to wake up, 9:00pm to go to bed.

5. Will work towards being carbon negative and producing more energy than we consume. I don't know if we can afford to go completely renewable this year, but irrigation via solar to supplement mostly passive rain harvesting, and methane from a biodigester for cooking are definitely doable.

6. A positive, friendly attitude online.

AAHZ ain't playin' no more. I stare down a Slob like it's another day at the office. I confront a ****** hatin' on me then it's on like Donkey Kong. I fight a hater toe to toe with no fear until that ****** bleedin'. AAHZ don't feel no moar fear.

Damn the consequences. Damn if I get 5150'd. Damn if I get run up on by 50 Slobs. It's time.

AAHZ A GODDAMN CHERUBIM NIGGA.

death is a given.
    Last edited by ZEE; January 1, 2017, 03:03.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

No resolutions but a decision made earlier:

DO in 2017:
      1) PCT, It takes apx. 5 months so I will try to make a plan but I need my ex-wife's OK due to kids, which might make this impossible. In that case do Santiago De Compostela (takes 2 months), from Finland to Spain, by foot.
      2) Work less
      3) Enjoy more
      4) Try to finish my doctoral thesis, yet if it does not happen, that's OK.

That's it.

I'll be eating meat for sure. Also try to be more friendly in general. Been a bit of a dick lately.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I plan to drink moar
        Blah

Comment

I will attempt to walk 50,000 steps per week (trying for 10,000 per day 5 times a week).
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Death is certain.

Its hour, uncertain.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

So far so good. On day 10, I actually feel a more energy than I have in years. Dropped 2 or 3kg, I had been up to 89kg. Pre-40 I had never gone over 85kg, and usually around 75kg. Net is worried I'll go skinny again, but I'm getting more exercise so hopefully I'll replace most of what I lose with lean muscle.

We had 4 chickens (1 male, 3 female) ... but 2 were smaller and from different "families" and got bullied to death. So down to 2. First batch of eggs are incubating,7 so far. We'll let the chicks grow up. These are native chickens, leaner, not as prone to disease, have smaller but better tasting eggs, and can fly quite far. So far they've preferred to sleep in the mango trees rather than in their chicken coop. The eggs are in the coop in a box we made for nesting ... so we won't have to go hunting eggs. The chickens eat some left over rice, but mostly forage for their own food in the garden.

Been raining a lot here as a low pressure area moved in. Haven't had rain like this in the last 2 years. I'm eating lots of bananas, sweet peppers, lemonsito, cucumbers, and papaya from the garden. Some okra and sunflower seeds. Also lots of lettuce and mustard from the greenhouse. We're just starting to harvest some tomatoes and chili peppers.

Even though it's been raining we got a lot of work done on the garden. 9 raised beds inbetween the swales ready to be planted. Have lots of arugula, lettuce, squash, watermelon, parsely, and various other greens ready to transplant in as soon as we get a break in the weather.

Comment

I have no resolutions

Comment

The same resolution as every year. To make it through to the next one. So far so good.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    The same resolution as every year. To make it through to the next one. So far so good.

Me too. I would like to continue making the same resolution for many more years.

Comment

Quick scorecard so far:

1. Eating Healthier: A-

I've been surprised on how easy this has been. I did dream about eating meat the other night, and felt very ashamed in the dream. It was a relief to wake up and find I hadn't actually cheated on my diet.

2. Time Outdoors: C

This is the one I've been most disappointed in myself for, as it should be the easiest yet I haven't done nearly enough. Some of it has been the weather and I was sick to start the year. But I've been spending too much time on the computer. Part of it is dealing with 1) as I'm doing a lot of research into foods that I can use, as there aren't any ready made plans that fit the food available here. I'm getting close to having a good handle on it though, so it will get easier to find time outdoors.

3. Garden Profitable: n/a

Since we started planting in January it will be 2-3 months before we get much in the way of results. Currently what we are growing looks very good. The sales we've had of chili peppers have been at very good prices.

4. Regular sleeping schedule: B+

Had a couple late nights for some work projects, which is unavoidable. Ended up sleeping in a couple times, but for the most part have been meeting my targets.

5. Sustainable energy: D

I haven't gotten much done in this regard. The rainy season is ending, so we'll get the solar pump online soon. Most major projects will need to wait for later in the year as we use this time to save for taxes each year, and have had a couple buying opportunities for key pieces of land.

6. Positive and friendly online: F

I suspected this would be the toughest. I've been having a hard time with this. For many years I have used Apolyton as an outlet for frustration in my life. When I try to be nice here I end up being more combative on Facebook, and even a little more irritable in real life. (Normally I'm very easy going in real life.) Trump isn't helping. Politics are causing a lot of problems even in my family, which has never had any problems politically or otherwise before (even with a lot of disagreement). Need a lot of work on this. Probably doing better at 2) will help this on my end.

----------------------------------------------

More about diet:

I am still on my vegetarian diet, trying to figure out how to balance things right with what is available. I get tons of fresh fruit. My fat intake has actually been the hardest to deal with, as I get little to no fats. Avocado isn't in season and getting nuts here is difficult. However today I remembered I could just eat fresh coconut meat and even a couple spoonfuls would be enough to help me meet my fat intake targets. It's not a great balance of omega 3 and 6, and is high in saturated fats (though not the worst kinds), but it may have to do until my Sacha Inchi are fruiting.

Also not helpful has been how cool and rainy it has been this year so far. The moringa trees have been waiting for some warmth before sending out their shoots, and fresh moringa leaves and powder is going to be an important part of my diet. We had some dried moringa leaf powder, but that's run out now. I ordered 10,000 moringa seeds. We will be planting a lot and making a lot of powder in the future.

As a side-benefit of all this is I've been made aware of how profitable some of these crops (moringa, sacha inchi) can be. There is 0 availability of many vegetarian/vegan staples, so that's a possible market to open up.

As I learn more about the health issues/benefits, I am leaning more and more strongly to going vegan, dropping the eggs, milk, and cheese. I've actually only had significant amounts of cheese 4 times this year. Eggs will be the hardest to drop, especially as an ingredient in other foods. But I think it is worth it for the health benefits.

Comment

Is the new hat related to #6 in the op?

Blah

Comment

It's mostly for #7: avoid sunstroke ... though that probably helps #6 as I tend to be less friendly when I have a fever/headache. So if I'm nice, blame the hat

Comment

mwhc will never post here again

Comment

Here's hoping you break your resolution from time to time

I'm down about 2-3 kg so far on my diet. Starting at 88 to 89 kg, and now at 86 kg. 80 to 85 kg is roughly where I want to be, though with less bodyfat than I currently have. I generally feel better, more energy, fewer headaches. While keeping closer track of my diet and sleep patterns I've noticed I tend to get sleepy in the afternoon on days I have wheat products early in the day (pancakes, sandwiches), while I have plenty of energy through the day if I have fruits/veggies in the morning then beans at lunch.

Eating more and more from the garden. Lots of bananas (sweet and starchy types), okra, green beans, and papaya (green and sweet). With the rice from the rice fields it's over 1/2 total intake. I could get enough total calories from the garden now, but would be missing some key nutrients and get really bored.

Comment

Working...
                              X