Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bet that trumpf is very worried rigth now

It looks like he can't deliver to his "friends" for the next five years :

President Obama moved to solidify his environmental legacy Tuesday by withdrawing hundreds of millions of acres of federally owned land in the Arctic and Atlantic Ocean from new offshore oil and gas drilling.

Obama used a little-known law called the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act to protect large portions of the Chukchi and Beaufort seas in the Arctic and a string of canyons in the Atlantic stretching from Massachusetts to Virginia. In addition to a five-year moratorium already in place in the Atlantic, removing the canyons from drilling puts much of the eastern seaboard off limits to oil exploration even if companies develop plans to operate around them.

The announcement by the White House late in the afternoon was coordinated with similar steps being taken by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to shield large areas of that nation’s Arctic waters from drilling. Neither measure affects leases already held by oil and gas companies and drilling activity in state waters.

“These actions, and Canada’s parallel actions, protect a sensitive and unique ecosystem that is unlike any other region on earth,” the White House said in a statement. “They reflect the scientific assessment that, even with the high safety standards that both our countries have put in place, the risks of an oil spill in this region are significant and our ability to clean up from a spill in the region’s harsh conditions is limited.

White House officials described their actions to make the areas off limits to future oil and gas exploration and drilling as indefinite. Officials said the withdrawals under Section 12-A of the 1953 act used by presidents dating to Dwight Eisenhower cannot be undone by an incoming president. It is not clear if a Republican-controlled Congress can rescind Obama’s action.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Uhmn, could a benevolent person with omnipotent powers please put a m in between u and p in the title ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

[grammarnazi]
      So the misspelling of "right" was intentional?
      [/grammarnazi]
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
        [grammarnazi]
        So the misspelling of "right" was intentional?
        [/grammarnazi]
        Nah, the missing m was a mistyping while the rigth was a honest misspelling

Steven Weinberg

Comment

so why is trump worried?

Comment

Aliens.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

... mostly the illegal ones ...

We really can't afford a wall around the Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                ... mostly the illegal ones ...

We really can't afford a wall around the Earth.

We could call it the Trumposphere.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It would be easier to build a wall around trump.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                    Aliens.
                    Some of whom are good people ... I guess.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Well this is a Trump thread. I might as well write down my thoughts so I can say "I called it".

Trump doesn't know what he's doing because he's throwing away a Senate seat by not picking Heidi Heitkamp. (I didn't matter what he said or did before because voters are LOL.) He won't be able to do anything really bad because of that. Oh, he could do damage but without being clever he would just get kicked out of office if he tries to take over. GOP actually has good chances in 2018 and 2022 because of the DEMs bad habit of not voting during midterms. GOP might even crush it in 2020 without having to do anything because the DEMs might not even be able to run a candidate. Trump being the nominee will cause everyone and their mother to enter the race (we already have seen this with Biden) and with their lack of superdelegates and proportional primaries it could be that no-one could get anywhere close to 50%. This could cause 3rd party runs and other fails. But in 2024 the DEMs should be able to get their act together and stop the GOP from doing anything more (third term curse!) and then use demographics to cruise to victory (the best way to show this is that whites only had 34% births in Texas in 2007). Then the GOP will be stuck "having fun" until liberal-minority alliance falls apart.
                      “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

Arctic exploitation is the next 50 years challenge. The Russians know it and are very active. If we don't build infrastructure there to establish a position, we risk losing economic importance in the area.

I do have mixed feelings though as it is always good to add protected areas for future generations to be able to enjoy.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                        X