Accident or terror in Berlin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident or terror in Berlin ?

A lorry ploughs into a Christmas market in the heart of Berlin, killing 12 people.

An articulated lorry has ploughed into a busy Christmas market in the heart of Berlin, killing nine people and injuring many more, police say.

Police say they suspect it was deliberate. Video shows stalls knocked over and people lying injured.

A suspicious person was arrested nearby, while what police describe as a passenger was found dead, police say.

The market is at Breitscheidplatz, close to the Kurfuerstendamm, the main shopping street in the city's west.

Chancellor Angela Merkel has been in contact with the interior minister and the mayor of Berlin, her spokesman, Steffen Seibert, tweeted.

"We are in mourning for the dead and hope that the many injured can get help," he added.

German President Joachim Gauck said in a statement that it was an "awful evening for Berlin and for our country".

Terror attack?

According to the DPA news agency, police believe the lorry drove 50-80 metres (54-87 yards) through the market area during the incident, which occurred at 20:14 local time (19:14 GMT).

"We are investigating whether it was a terror attack but do not yet know what was behind it," a police spokesman told AFP news agency.

"One person was detained. The cab of the truck was found empty."
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

I guess a terror attack is very likely.
    They found a corpse on the passenger seat ... which was the person who was actually hired by the polish transport company to drive the truck.

My guess is that the person who drove the truck into the christmas market murdered the driver and then kidnapped the truck in order to recreate the Nice attack from July 2016
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Addendum:
      The police in Berlin now also assumes that the truck was intentionally steered into the crowd.

Also, at the moment it is 12 killed and 48 people seriously injured
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

No accident, terror.

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
        I guess a terror attack is very likely.
        They found a corpse on the passenger seat ... which was the person who was actually hired by the polish transport company to drive the truck.

My guess is that the person who drove the truck into the christmas market murdered the driver and then kidnapped the truck in order to recreate the Nice attack from July 2016
        Yeah, it's reported now that one person was found shot dead - most probably the original driver from Poland. So his truck probably got hijacked.
        Blah

Comment

Berlin police released the suspect who had been detained, citing a lack of evidence.

Are the reports of this original driver being found shot true? Lots of fake claims swirl around in the immediate aftermath of events like these.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
            Berlin police released the suspect who had been detained, citing a lack of evidence.
            Based on gut (and not really following this story or known *facts*), that would suggest to me they got the wrong guy. I would have expected the guy who did it to gladly confess, assuming it was an IS inspired attack - if he did do it and is not confessing, then it changes possible motivations and connections.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

. Our hearts and prayers are with the loved ones of the victims of today’s horrifying terror attack in Berlin. Innocent civilians were murdered in the streets as they prepared to celebrate the Christmas holiday. ISIS and other Islamic terrorists continuously slaughter Christians in their communities and places of worship as part of their global jihad. These terrorists and their regional and worldwide networks must be eradicated from the face of the earth, a mission we will carry out with all freedom-loving partners.
              - Donald Trump, President Elect of the United States
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post

Are the reports of this original driver being found shot true? Lots of fake claims swirl around in the immediate aftermath of events like these.
                The guy who was found shot dead in the lorry has been identified - yes, he's from Poland, the driver who was on a regular tour delivering steel parts brought from Italy.

When he was killed exactly and under what circumstances is unclear, but his identity is clear.

The first suspect has been released meanwhile indeed, because he had an alibi and no traces linking him to the attack were found (blood, dna, etc.). So the guy who drove the lorry into the crowds is on the run still.
                Last edited by BeBMan; December 21, 2016, 04:21.
                Blah

Comment

It looks like the culprit may have been a Tunisian who was originally registered in NRW without refugee status (but tolerated ... i.e. exempt from immediate deportation)) but went into hiding after getting prosecuted because of assault (and taking on multiple identities).
                  It also is known that said tunisian had islamist connections.

Also it seems like the polish driver of the truck was alive up till the terror attack and has been shot with a small calibre firearm

Ermittler fahnden nach dem Anschlag auf dem Berliner Weihnachtsmarkt nach einem Verdächtigen. Für Hinweise gibt es eine hohe Belohnung.

Comment

Here a lengthy story (in english) about the suspect:

Comment

So little can be done about this kind of attacks...
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Now it's reported they found fingerprints of that Tunisian guy who is hunted right now on that lorry. If that's true they'd at least go into the right direction this time.
                        Blah

Comment

The suspect doesn't seem to have been radicalized by his family or culture. He was a criminal who got radicalized in prison.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

News from Milan. Bang bang. You're dead.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

He won't be missed

Comment

Working...
                              X