Secret of Churchill's appeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret of Churchill's appeal

Okay, I just listened to some old Winston Churchill speeches on YouTube. He sounds . . . slurry and apathetic. I'm not seeing where the reputation as a great speaker comes from. OTOH, "slurry" and "apathetic" could also be "drunk" and "reserved," both of which are traditionally held in high esteem by Britons in general. Is that the secret, or is it something else?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

anyone who can sound apathetic when Hitler is bombing them clearly has balls of steel

Comment

Or possibly just incredibly drunk. But it could be both.
      1011 1100

Comment

yes but tomorrow you'll still be ugly OH SNAP

Comment

Dig up Churchill. I bet I'm sexier now.
          1011 1100

Comment

Unbelievably, Hitler was also seen as a good speaker /norealgodwincauseitstrue
            Blah

Comment

Yeah, I looked up some Hitler vids for comparison. He seems much more lively, though a lot of it comes across as unintentionally funny due to German's common roots with English. He sounds like the Swedish Chef at times, with the snips of recognizable words getting bellowed out between what sounds like gibberish. Depending on cultural norms he could sound either passionate and convincing or like a lunatic, just based on the theatrics and tone of voice (not the content of the speech itself).
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                Yeah, I looked up some Hitler vids for comparison. He seems much more lively, though a lot of it comes across as unintentionally funny due to German's common roots with English. He sounds like the Swedish Chef at times, with the snips of recognizable words getting bellowed out between what sounds like gibberish. Depending on cultural norms he could sound either passionate and convincing or like a lunatic, just based on the theatrics and tone of voice (not the content of the speech itself).
                True - the most irritating thing today is that the stuff from him we usually see as irrational/crazy etc. helped him to power as holding speeches (and attracting moar and moar crowds in the process) was basically all he did pre-1933 as "politician" (except the defeated coup in Munich which brought him into prison for a while). But then 20century interwar times were crazy in many ways...
                Blah

Comment

He beat the Germans. Without it, there would not be much appeal.
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                  X