Become a space citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Become a space citizen

..,.. without the chance to be there for the a long, long time, but I guess it's the idea that counts:

A group of scientists is launching what they say will be a new pacifist nation-state in space.

Asgardia "will become a place in orbit which is truly 'no man's land'," its website says.

The new "nation" aims to launch its first satellite late next year and hopes to one day be recognised by the UN.

But some experts have cast doubt on the viability of the plan, given international law prohibits national sovereignty claims in outer space.

"Citizens" of Asgardia, who will be scrutinised before admission, will eventually obtain passports, says Lena de Winne, a senior member of the project team who worked for the European Space Agency for 15 years.

(...)

full: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37650274
    Blah

Asgardia seems to be a strange choice of name for a supposedly pacifist nation,
    considering that the Aesir, gods of the nordic pantheon that are connected with "Asgard", were far from peaceful
    (to the contrary ... life in Asgard was described as drinking mead, followed by going to battle, then again drinking mead and so on)

Addendum:
    But on a sidenote:
    While I believe this would be a wonderful Utopia, I a afraid that such a space station would sooner or later take a bad ending. Either the space statrion will be destroyed by some (nuclear) missile from some rogue nation on the ground or it would get invaded, probably by religious extremists, who desire to forcibly impose the rules of their religion on the inhabitants of the space station, for the glory of their god
    Last edited by Proteus_MST; October 21, 2016, 08:05.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Maybe they're going for the Stargate Asgard.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's much easier to become a citizen of Assguardia ... just have to get sent to prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          Maybe they're going for the Stargate Asgard.
          True .. totally forgot about them.
          On the other hand, while being pacifist, the Asgard possessed the techological superiority (and military means) to convince even the big baddies (like the Goa' uld) that it would be a wise move to remain on püeaceful terms with the Asgard
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Totes. They were badass pacifists.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The likelihood of this happening in our lifetime is asymptotic to zero.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                It's much easier to become a citizen of Assguardia ... just have to get sent to prison.
                They're pacifists. They're always feeling butthurt about something anyway.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

More seriously, this scheme sounds sublimely pointless. A nation with no military (or any coercive power), no natural resources, a scattered population who cannot be coerced into paying taxes, and vast infrastructure expenses. Much the sort of harebrained and impractical plan I'd expect of pacifists, really.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sounds like bored nerds.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                    X