No announcement yet.

Repent or perish!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the thread doesn't live up to its title.

Repent or perish?

Seeing as to repent means to acknolwdge a sin and thus be granted eternal life, it's a bit confusing.

Maybe it's replent or perish?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      What's the point of saving a humanity that's no longer human?
      Maybe there's something out there cooler than humanity?
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        In a Star Trek utopia, we could of course use the deflector dish to set up a tachyon dispersion field that destabilizes the planet's core and causes worldwide volcanoes and earthquakes, but if we've got holodecks and replicators, will we want to?
        Personally I think there are only two types of places on Earth that are really just made for solving all the big questions:

1. A pub after a significant consumption of booze
        2. The Intarweb (alternatively Intarweb and booze)

Seriously. That being said, here are some random thoughts:

If wars and conflict only result from economic factors like scarcity of resources (often they do) or fights for territory we might arrive in a ST utopia if technology makes it easier to get all the good stuff without blowing eachother into pieces.

But I'm not so sure that the other forms of human asshatteria (ideology, fanatism, strive for personal prestige/power etc.) will go away when we the need to fight for resources or so is eliminated by tech advances (if we assume that all get to profit from that really).

(also leaving aside the fact that ideologies, fanatism etc often justify your action/mobilize your own band in conflicts for resources etc. - but I'd say they're also able to cause conflict beyond the bare "resources" thing)
        Blah

Comment

Well it's not a big mystery
          Free market economy is incompatible with democracy and without democracy there is no peace.
          The capital is continuing to amass wealth and plunging the world to a new cyber middle ages.

Also, we have gone form the balance of terror to the inbalance of terror with the known murderers of the people going unchekced attacking small countries.

However there is an economy on the planet.

pchang would call it "punishing success" but it's actually just retribution by the victims to the criminals. For the children.

Now, what peeves me a bit is that claim that "ideologies are evil" and you shouldn't have one.

Despite that making you look like a spineless amoeba the repercussions go far beyond the aesthetic.

By espousing the no ideology motto in an environment of a despicable dominant ideology, you basically just subscribe to the latter.

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing and all that jazz.

Also the no ideology stinks of the "equal distances" fallacy.

Yoy keep equal distances from david AND goliath.

You should be smashing goliath's face in

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post

Now, what peeves me a bit is that claim that "ideologies are evil" and you shouldn't have one.
            Is this supposed to be in reply to me? Because I didn't say that. Try to read ppl's posts next time before answering

By espousing the no ideology motto in an environment of a despicable dominant ideology, you basically just subscribe to the latter.
            aka "Those who are not for us, are against us".

All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing and all that jazz.

Also the no ideology stinks of the "equal distances" fallacy.

Yoy keep equal distances from david AND goliath.

You should be smashing goliath's face in
            Blah.
            Blah

Comment

I powned you so hard...

I'm one step behind AHHZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                I pwned myself so hard when I turned pwned into powned...
                FTFY
                Blah

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  What's the point of saving a humanity that's no longer human?
                  Having a computer system monitoring every aspect of your life wouldn't actually make you any less human.

Comment

It would be extremely invasive, prone to abuse, and probably will happen. (It already does to varying extents, and already is abused.)

Comment

Working...
                    X