Straight from the horse's mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight from the horse's mouth

Horses have joined a select group of animals that can communicate by pointing at symbols.

Scientists trained horses, by offering slices of carrot as an incentive, to touch a board with their muzzle to indicate if they wanted to wear a rug.

The horses' requests matched the weather, suggesting it wasn't a random choice.

A few other animals, including apes and dolphins, appear, like us, to express preferences by pointing at things.

Dr Cecilie Mejdell of the Norwegian Veterinary Institute, who led the research, said they wanted to find a way to ask the horse whether or not it liked wearing a blanket.

In Nordic countries, it is common for horses to wear a blanket in all weathers.

"I think our study adds to the knowledge on horse cognition - about what horses are able to learn and how they think," she told BBC News.

"Horses are often considered to be not very intelligent but this shows that using the right methods they can actually communicate and express their opinions and they can take choices that seem sensible to us even."

(...)
    Full: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37450952

Wondering if this is a good thing? Ask three horses ad you get three different opinions I'd bet

Otoh in some cases maybe horse-participation would improve the level of political debate.
    Blah

Originally posted by BeBro View Post

Otoh in some cases maybe horse-participation would improve the level of political debate.
    I would definitely prefer a horse over Trump as POTUS
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Point to "glue" or "not glue"

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
        Wondering if this is a good thing?
        Neigh.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The original plan was to have the animals shout out their answers but it turned out that they were too hoarse to shout.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Has anyone seen AH?
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

He's under a blanket sleeping of having gorged himself on carrot slices.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
              X