Can you be bribed to do your job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you be bribed to do your job?

A tape recording has emerged in which a businessman has allegedly offered money depending on the result of a match that is a crucial for ‘Soccer War’ rivals Honduras

El Salvador players allege bribe over Canada World Cup qualifier

El Salvador players claim they have been offered financial inducements to win, draw or avoid a heavy defeat in Tuesday’s World Cup 2018 qualifier against Canada, which kicks off at 3am BST.

A heavy defeat for El Salvador in Vancouver could prevent their neighbours Honduras from progressing to the final stage of Concacaf qualifying for the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia.

Bonilla played a tape of the 10-minute conversation in which the man promised varying amounts of money depending on the result and the time played by each player, from $30 a minute for a win to $10 a minute in a 1-0 defeat.

These guys must hate Honduras so much that they think it is better to lose big and stop their neighbours from qualifying, than to do their jobs and get the best result they can.

I can't see how paying someone to do their job is a bribe. Even if it isn't their bosses paying them.

Maybe I can tell my firm that I've not been productive recently, as I had to refuse a bribe to get my workload done.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

I am bribed to do my job every day. It is called my salary.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Salary, commissions, stock

More bribery please.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I thought bribery and corruption were two of the main cornerstones for World Cup Soccer.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's not a bribe. That's a bonus to meet certain criteria.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            I thought bribery and corruption were two of the main cornerstones for World Cup Soccer.
            Of course. Its the cornerstone of capitalism. Big businesses took over football (err... Soccer) a long time ago.

In Europe we have players going for 50-60 million euros... Like John Stones. Who the **** is that? Crap English player commanding big bucks. I think he was 47.5 million pounds.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
              Of course. Its the cornerstone of capitalism. Big businesses took over football (err... Soccer) a long time ago.

In Europe we have players going for 50-60 million euros... Like John Stones. Who the **** is that? Crap English player commanding big bucks. I think he was 47.5 million pounds.
              John Stones slept with the manager. Only logical conclusion.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                Eww.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                  I think all Russian football players sleep with their managers. Given that they can't play football, the only thing that can explain their salaries is that they have golden *******s.

P.S. And someone really should fix profanity filter on this forum, at least in offtopic section. If i hear much heavier curses in Hollywood movies, why can't i write anything even remotely indecent here?
                  Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post

He's not worth 50m, but he's not crap either. This summer there was a huge inflation to an already massively inflated market, topped with the ridiculous 90m transfer of Pogba. Stones is prone to a few feck ups, but he has the potential to be a top drawer ball playing defender and he's still very young. Being English is generally worth an extra 10m addition to price in the PL too.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      He's not worth 50m, but he's not crap either. This summer there was a huge inflation to an already massively inflated market, topped with the ridiculous 90m transfer of Pogba. Stones is prone to a few feck ups, but he has the potential to be a top drawer ball playing defender and he's still very young. Being English is generally worth an extra 10m addition to price in the PL too.
                      Like many young English players he has the potential, but will ultimately flop. That is the rule. He will show promise at Everton... But at City... Different story.

Pogba... That was a laughable transfer fee. Juventus ran away with it though. And Milan was just sold to big money in China so expect even more inflation.

Comment

Working...
                      X