Proxima Centauri b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxima Centauri b

New discovered earth sized planet in the Goldilocks zone of Proxima Centauri
    It has 1.3 M_earth and an orbital period of 11 days

Maybe now we have reasons to send probes to our next neighboring triple star system :d:
    (it isn't known yet, whether the planet has water and/or atmosphere, or is just a barren rock, however)

Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

HUGE NEWS: Astronomers discover an Earth-sized planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, making it the closest exoplanet to our solar system!
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

If it has water... Oh hell. I'm out of here. Adios. You guys can have Trump Dumpster... I will start a new world.

On a serious note, I love discoveries like this. So awe inspiring. Just goes to show there is so much out there...
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Stellaris is REAL!!!!
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If we're going to send a probe it should get a psych upgrade to survive the onslaught of indigenous lifeforms.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
          New discovered earth sized planet in the Goldilocks zone of Proxima Centauri
          It has 1.3 M_earth and an orbital period of 11 days

Maybe now we have reasons to send probes to our next neighboring triple star system :d:
          (it isn't known yet, whether the planet has water and/or atmosphere, or is just a barren rock, however)

Explore National Geographic. A world leader in geography, cartography and exploration.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro..._centauri.html
          1.3 Earth masses is a minimum mass, since it was detected via the radial velocity method and we don't know what the planet's inclination with respect to us is. (If it's tilted, then we're not seeing the full wobble, which means we're underestimating the mass.) So it's not yet clear if this is a rocky Earth-like world, but nevertheless this is pretty damn awesome. The system is also close enough to us that, despite how close the star and planet are to each other, we might be able to directly image the planet with a big enough telescope.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
            If we're going to send a probe it should get a psych upgrade to survive the onslaught of indigenous lifeforms.
            Some videos of Donald Trump should send any intelligent being running and screaming lol. Or they will come and invade the world in order to save us lol.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

It appears you should spend some time at a network node.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                The system is also close enough to us that, despite how close the star and planet are to each other, we might be able to directly image the planet with a big enough telescope.
                I suspect we may end up having to wait for Breakthrough Starshot.

Comment

Breakthrough Starshot will let us resolve the surface of the planet, but simply distinguishing the planet from its star (as fuzzy dots) is eminently doable with current and upcoming telescopes. Proxima b is .05 AU away from its star and ~4.25 ly from us. This corresponds to an angular separation of something like 38 milliarcseconds (mas). So, for example, with adaptive optics and interferometry, the VLT in Chile can get down to about 2 mas, which is more than good enough.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Breakthrough Starshot will let us resolve the surface of the planet, but simply distinguishing the planet from its star (as fuzzy dots) is eminently doable with current and upcoming telescopes. Proxima b is .05 AU away from its star and ~4.25 ly from us. This corresponds to an angular separation of something like 38 milliarcseconds (mas). So, for example, with adaptive optics and interferometry, the VLT in Chile can get down to about 2 mas, which is more than good enough.
                    I guess when Proxima b and its star are close together this would also allow us to gather informations about Proxima bs atmospheric composition (if it has one) by doing a spectral analysis and filtering out the spectral bands of the star itself, isn't it?
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

... Proxima b is .05 AU away from its star and ~4.25 ly from us. ...
                      Shouldn't it be tidally locked (not sure if this is the correct term. I mean not spinnig around it's axis) at such a close distance?
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

They did mention that the optics required to get a laser through the atmosphere accurately could probably also be used to improve ground telescopes to the level where they could do what you describe. Which is cool. Just a shame it has to be ground based in the first place, although I understand the reasons why.

Comment

This might be a bug planet. If we send probes, they'll dig out their brainbug and start to throw rocks at us before anyone can say "Mobile Infantry"
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            They did mention that the optics required to get a laser through the atmosphere accurately could probably also be used to improve ground telescopes to the level where they could do what you describe. Which is cool. Just a shame it has to be ground based in the first place, although I understand the reasons why.
                            VLT can already do this. In the orange part of the spectrum, the space-based JWST will have a resolution of something like 20-30 mas, so it might be able to pull it off as well. The Extremely Large Telescope (astronomers are the worst), when completed, will also be able to image the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                              I guess when Proxima b and its star are close together this would also allow us to gather informations about Proxima bs atmospheric composition (if it has one) by doing a spectral analysis and filtering out the spectral bands of the star itself, isn't it?
                              I read somewhere that Proxima b apparently does not transit the star, which means we won't be able to sample the atmosphere by looking at what light it absorbs from the star. But if we can detect its reflected light (very difficult given relative brightness of star to planet and their tiny angular separation), then we could get spectral information on the atmosphere.

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                              Shouldn't it be tidally locked (not sure if this is the correct term. I mean not spinnig around it's axis) at such a close distance?
                              Tidally locked is a good bet, yes, but not a guarantee. Take Mercury, for example. It's not tidally locked but is instead in a 3:2 spin-orbit resonance (3 days for every 2 years). But just to be ultra-pedantic for a moment, tidally locked just means 1 day = 1 year, not that the planet doesn't actually spin on its axis.

Comment

Working...
                              X