No announcement yet.

Do you still own your textbooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my uni books were borrowed from the library. I only bought a few, which I still have.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I read the latest Bujold of the The Vorkosigan Saga and it was pretty bad.
      Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
      Last edited by rah; August 4, 2016, 16:46.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Not to further derail the discussion, my problem with it is not so much the writing as it

Spoiler:
        has no greater story arc at all. Even compared to Shards or Gifts it stays bland. Also what's the message here? Mature Semesters have a lovelife? being gay I okay? I stay bewildered.

That being said I fully admit my (academish) textbooks are used as eyecatcher more than for actual research.
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

It is sad, but then Bujold and Cherryh and Wolfe are all old or very old and had a lot of amazing books in them.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Couldn't agree more MB. There were a few interesting bits but where the heck was it going. I kept expecting something to happen, and it never did.
            Quite disappointing.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I listened to a chunk of Ethan of Athos a few years back but stopped for reasons that may or may not have had to do with the book itself. Do you guys have any recommendations for entry into the Vorkosigan Saga?
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The earlier ones were my favorites so start there.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  I listened to a chunk of Ethan of Athos a few years back but stopped for reasons that may or may not have had to do with the book itself. Do you guys have any recommendations for entry into the Vorkosigan Saga?
                  The Saga starts before Miles is born... I like the books he's in the best.

The Warrior's Apprentice
                  The Vor Game
                  Cetaganda

These are the three books he is in that fall right before Ethan of Athos in the timeline.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'll modify my opinion and agree with Ming. He is the star character in the series.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It is his saga.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Not completely. Its the family saga. He only has a cameo (or non leading) role in many of the books.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I can't read, only write, so I have no use for books

I was one of the "keep everything" guys for long, but after years got fed up with having lotsa stuff around I hardly ever looked into again, so got rid of large chunks then, both "normal" reading like novels and "knowledge" books.
                          Blah

Comment

Still own some. Never use them. My wife has more that she never uses as well.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I kept 'em all, including my notes, and have been carting them from house to house to live in boxes in garages for over 20 years. Virtually no re-reading.

Comment

One should keep a copy of Chemistry 101 by Bernard Garnell in the trunk of one's car... just in case.

Comment

Working...
                                X