No announcement yet.

Moral dilemmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This falls under social lies as being moral and kind - a concept nerds are mostly very terrible at grasping, and I only get because I'm old and still work hard at figuring out social skills normal people pick up at 15.

-Tell your friend you were lying, but do it in an insincere manner that will just make him/her confused, maybe. Lying that you hadn't read the book, as suggested above, would be good, too.

It is not immoral to tell white lies to keep things mellow, to make people happy, I swear, if the white lie isn't about anything important. (Answering "How are you?" with "Just fine", for example - it's usually not really a question, but a traditional way of saying "hello".) I REALLY hated that when I realized, but them's one of the mundane rules of getting along...
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Did some people actually think this was a genuine issue that I was struggling with?

Comment

My post was in earnest...

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
          Ok, say you jokingly told someone a character died at the end of a popular book series, which was completely untrue. Then that person freaked at because they thought you'd spoiled it. How could you admit you were only joking without actually spoiling the ending by confirming that the character doesn't actually die?

Discuss.
          Actually in long term you will make this person happy ...
          as soon as she gets to the end of the book and discovers that the character actually doesn't die
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            Did some people actually think this was a genuine issue that I was struggling with?
            I been burnt I must confess,

-Say, where do I make fake outrage ban-demand posts now that Ming's pretending he's going to clean up the Off-Topic Moderation thread? Ken called me "Grampa" the other day!
            AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
            JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

To be fair, Harry Potter did die in the last book.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                My post was in earnest...
                I am your biggest fan.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                X