• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, about Rio...

It's Olympics Time!

Um...

July 25 2016

Rio Olympics 2016: Athletes' village 'unliveable', Kitty Chiller reveals 'stress test' failure

Greg Baum and Daniel Cherny

The troubled Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games have arrived at their first major crisis, less than two weeks before the opening ceremony.

The Australian Olympic Committee confirmed on Sunday evening that the athletes' village has been deemed uninhabitable in the short term due to significant plumbing and electrical concerns.
    More here, including:

Originally posted by somebody reporting on Rio's Mayor
    Team Australia refuse to live in "uninhabitable" Olympic Village. Rio mayor says it's nicer than the one in Sydney
    Originally posted by also somebody reporting on Rio's Mayor
    "I almost feel like putting a kangaroo in front of their building to make them feel at home," says Rio mayor.
    ...Yay?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

May the best doctors win!
    Blah

Comment

"The system failed. Water came down walls, there was a strong smell of gas in some apartments and there was "shorting" in the electrical wiring. "
      To which an acquaintance on another site remarked,

Every apartment in Rio smells like gas due to the nature of their stove pilots. It's why they require one window to be un-closeable in every apartment so it doesn't accumulate.
      Last edited by The Mad Monk; August 4, 2016, 05:41.

Comment

Which web site would that be?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Olympic favela - the world gets to learn how it is to live in Rio for majority.

What's wrong with that?
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

i'm so happy this corrupt circus didn't come to chicago
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

at the very least, the road rage would have made me **** at least 20-30 more bricks than I have already this year
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post

What's wrong with that?
                the really funny thing that the athletes quarters are going to sold off as housing after the games.

i've rather enjoyed seeing some of the protests and people trying to put or steal the torch; the military guard that has had to be placed around it is a nice metaphor for brazilian society. sadly, our anti-olympic protest in rio is likely to suffer from a low turnout.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

our anti-olympic protest in rio is likely to suffer from a low turnout.

Classic
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

on the trolling subject another good answer by the mayor would be "sorry all our prisons are full"
                    (australia being a prison place initially etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                      Which web site would that be?
                      You know which one.

Comment

the torch passes through duque de caxias, one of rio's satellite cities...
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post

What's wrong with that?
                            If they opened up to free trade they could begin building modern places where everything actually worked thus improving living standards. Granted they would have to compete and those highly inefficient businesses would either have to get efficient fast or they would go out of business but living standards on the whole would rise.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

wow...
                              at least the olympics serve a real purpose of the world discovering what's going on in rio

Comment

Working...
                              X