Winston Churchil and ageism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winston Churchil and ageism

Churchil said many memorable quotes (and many vile ones)

He said greeks dont fight like heros, heros fight like greeks.
    I liked that one

He also said that in the future the future fascists will be those who call themselves anti-fascists.

Is that the west or russia? who knows.

That coupled with another quote he said: that while sleeping greece had an empire (when it controlled greece and half of turkey in the early 20th century) but then greece woke up and it lost it (asia minor catastrophe)

now that is troublesome.

So I searched and it seems that ****ing lenin supported the turks in ww1!!!!!!

I thought that was bad. But then I did some search and found out that this actually happened after greece had sent a royal expeditionary force in crimea and odesha to fight with the allies (england and some others)

so yeah
    drag

oh yeah. also in the age of neoliberalism, it seems old people have to die.

But who said that a society's level of civility is measured by the way it treats its old age people?

Does that mean that neoliberalism is uncivilized?

Yes it does

Anti-fascism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-fascism
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
      oh yeah. also in the age of neoliberalism, it seems old people have to die.
      old people dying? that's never happened before.

Comment

well not before their time.

I had a discussion with a rightist friend of mine and he said he loved how the leftists (me) go along with the memorandum.
        He said the next big step is going to be social security reform and it's coming soon.
        I believe him

I suppose he sees things in a narrow framework

Comment

Churchil said many memorable quotes (and many vile ones)

He said greeks dont fight like heros, heros fight like greeks.
          I liked that one

IMHO this is a strange saying,
          considering that greece (with regards to his historical military) is best known for its Phalanx tactics,
          in which the risk/danger of the battle would actually be distributed among many shoulders,
          instead of having individuals stand out in the battle.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

that's true for after the Iliad, with alexander the great and his macedonian phalanxes etc

Before it was indivindual heroism that was exalted and practised, like Achilles in the troyan wars

Comment

well not before their time.

I had a discussion with a rightist friend of mine and he said he loved how the leftists (me) go along with the memorandum.
              He said the next big step is going to be social security reform and it's coming soon.
              I believe him

I suppose he sees things in a narrow framework
              Is this about death panels?
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

BTW wasn't a german director who shot Troy?

At the time it was supposed to be an allegory Greece (USA) attacking Troy (Iraq).

However I see it in a broader context

The left and the right.
                The left wins but must treat the right with honor. (somewhat. not like in the video anyway)

Comment

Helen = oil?

Comment

Well let's just say that no woman could have possibly be so beautiful (=democracy) to command the leave of so many ships as to blacken the aegean.

However in the context I'm talking with, helen must be, I don't know. An idea. Of reconciliation.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                      IMHO this is a strange saying,
                      considering that greece (with regards to his historical military) is best known for its Phalanx tactics,
                      in which the risk/danger of the battle would actually be distributed among many shoulders,
                      instead of having individuals stand out in the battle.

BTW his exact quote is: "So far, we have been saying that Greeks fight like heros. Henceforth we will say that Heros fight like Greeks".

Greece chose to accept the british POV instead of the german one despite royalty being a hitlerite.

That was also the point of return of the germans
                      As long as there was a hope that greece would join the axis, germany regarded Greece as the true descendant of ancient greeks.

But when greece actually started fighting the axis, this changed. with faltemeiher. History in the service of propaganda.
                      Last edited by Bereta_Eder; December 24, 2015, 12:41.

Comment

Then britain supported the greek resistance hugely.

But there were different camps.

The greek resistance was fierce (after beating italy, 5 times its size).

Then communism, as an ideology was taking hold.

Greece's resistance after the liberation was split. The most fierce part was the communist.

But that, as they say, is a tale for another time

Comment

Suffice to say that the civil war left deep scars.

The lefts ideology was dominant but it had never actually ascented to power.
                          Now it has.

So an old trauma is restored and with it a beacon of what to do next

However, the narrative says about a clear cut divide between the left and the right. That may not actually be entereily true.

Comment

I love semantics

so this was the flag that british tabloids used at that time

Click image for larger version

Name:	b45dc7fc3b55fdb9722117a01a8e32c1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	9102154

that's today's (some extreme left wing) flag
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	square_greece_fights.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	9102155
                            "Greece fights communism"

It's fascinating to learn about this stuff. It's also under a rag so you have to search for it

Comment

I love today's paralelels.

As those in die welt

it seems there is a ... continueity of things
                              (even if that's present in the right wing only)

Comment

Working...
                              X