Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you measure temperature in degrees C, what does C stand for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you measure temperature in degrees C, what does C stand for?

A question for the ages.
    Centigrade
    12.50%
    Celsius
    87.50%
    Centesimal
    0.00%
    Cavendish Banana
    0.00%
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

When you measure temperature in degrees C...

...your answer is 273.15 off.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

At some point it changed on me from Centigrate to Celsius, I think between elementary school and junior high, and I don't know why
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Third letter in the latin alphabet.
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

It's always been Celsius for me, even though I've been aware of the centigrade thing.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Never been something different than Celsius for me ... here in germany the term "centigrade" never is used as the meaning for C
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

From Wikipedia:

Since the 19th century, the scientific and thermometry communities worldwide referred to this scale as the centigrade scale. Temperatures on the centigrade scale were often reported simply as degrees or, when greater specificity was desired, as degrees centigrade. The symbol for temperature values on this scale is °C.

Because the term centigrade was also the Spanish and French language name for a unit of angular measurement (1/100 of a right angle) and had a similar connotation in other languages, the term centesimal degree was used when very precise, unambiguous language was required by international standards bodies such as the BIPM. The 9th CGPM and the CIPM (Comité international des poids et mesures) formally adopted "degree Celsius" (symbol: °C) in 1948.[14][15]

It was not until February 1985 that the forecasts issued by the BBC switched from "centigrade" to "Celsius".[16]

For scientific use, "Celsius" is the term usually used, with "centigrade" otherwise continuing to be in common but decreasing use, especially in informal contexts in English-speaking countries.
              I really thought the change over happened later than 1948, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                ...your answer is 273.15 off.
                Kelvinist.

Comment

Because the term centigrade was also the Spanish and French language name for a unit of angular measurement (1/100 of a right angle) and had a similar connotation in other languages...

Ugh. Reminds me of astronomy units, where we have minutes and seconds of time, minutes and seconds of arc, hour angles, degrees on the celestial sphere, degrees of temperature, etc...

Comment

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Celsius

Cookie Monster is the more correct term.

Comment

Working...
                      X