Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To what extent do you choose your (religious) beliefs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To what extent do you choose your (religious) beliefs?

This has come up in the past with Pascal's Wager type bull****, which is analogous to "if you believe that the sky is polka dotted then I'll give you fifty bucks" - I could say that I believe that the sky is polka-dotted or that I believe in somebody's idea of god or whatever, but I'd be lying.

This question came up again today because on another forum several people were saying something along the lines of "if somebody chooses to be a Muslim then they deserve to be persecuted by me," which makes about as much sense as telling somebody that you'll give them fifty bucks for believing that the sky is polka dotted.

Or maybe I'm the odd duck for not being able to choose my beliefs, and everybody else would be able to believe in a polka dotted sky? I dunno.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

for the most part, you are born into religion

i'd say nobody chooses their beliefs, even as an adult

you believe what makes sense to you

people don't choose to be stupid anymore than they choose to be smart
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It was always a strange wager to be fair. "I'm going to say I believe in God just in case it's real!" seems like a rather dubious expression of faith to get you into heaven.

Comment

Pascal was a forerunner to Kierkegaard so I sort of believe in what he was saying. You do choose what to believe. It's not easy though. Take an alcoholic for example. He knows that he shouldn't drink, but he still drinks. Therefore he doesn't really believe that he shouldn't drink, otherwise he wouldn't. So he goes to a support group. He hits rock bottom etc... Finally he actually quits drinking. That's when he actually believes that he shouldn't drink.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'm not sure if religious people really believe their religion or if they're just pretending.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
            I'm not sure if religious people really believe their religion or if they're just pretending.
            Some don't fit into those two categories, especially since 'believing' is complicated.

Comment

I chose my beliefs some time in the mid-afternoon of September 15, 2003. That is, I came to know fundamental truths about the universe on that day, and those fundamental truths are the foundation of my goal to become an all-consuming telepathic techno-blob.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Do we really get to choose anything? Aren't all our actions affected and influenced by those that came before them? And those before them, back to the dawn of time when the first so called choice occurred? Are we just a bunch of particles bouncing off on another like some infinitely large game of billiards where the break is the only shot? Are all our actions just part of a meaningless and inevitable march to the dark void, where all possible actions have occurred and will never be repeated again?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yes, but we call actions that proximately originate brains "choices."
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yah, we do make choices. It's not free will of course.

I think there are many ways our choices end up influencing (sometimes dramatically) our beliefs. Though usually not with intent, but that can happen too.

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me!"

It might happen in some cases where a person cares about the beliefs of their loved ones and being able to experience that joy with them, and so chooses to change their own perspective to match. I'd think it's far more common though that someone chooses to support their loved ones beliefs by participating in their religious activities, ends up having reinforcing experiences, and unintentionally has their belief system modified because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                      Do we really get to choose anything? Aren't all our actions affected and influenced by those that came before them? And those before them, back to the dawn of time when the first so called choice occurred? Are we just a bunch of particles bouncing off on another like some infinitely large game of billiards where the break is the only shot? Are all our actions just part of a meaningless and inevitable march to the dark void, where all possible actions have occurred and will never be repeated again?
                      You just chose to believe all of this, or not. I don't know, but it's one or the other. Is there any past event that caused you to do so, or not do so?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                        Yah, we do make choices. It's not free will of course.

I think there are many ways our choices end up influencing (sometimes dramatically) our beliefs. Though usually not with intent, but that can happen too.

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me!"

It might happen in some cases where a person cares about the beliefs of their loved ones and being able to experience that joy with them, and so chooses to change their own perspective to match. I'd think it's far more common though that someone chooses to support their loved ones beliefs by participating in their religious activities, ends up having reinforcing experiences, and unintentionally has their belief system modified because of it.
                        That's not really believing. You can't believe something because someone else does. Or at least no one has ever explained how you could to me.
                        Last edited by Kidlicious; December 15, 2015, 01:10.

Comment

The problem to me is having faith in another's beliefs instead of your own.

Comment

I believe I'll have another drink. Hallelujah!
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              That's not really believing. You can't believe something because someone else does. Or at least no one has ever explain how you could to me.
                              I didn't say they believe it because someone else does.

Comment

Working...
                              X