The Prophecy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Prophecy

Well... it was obvious, wasn't it? (2003)

This War Will Destabilize The Entire Mideast Region And Set Off A Global Shockwave Of Anti-Americanism
    Nathan Eckert

George W. Bush may think that a war against Iraq is the solution to our problems, but the reality is, it will only serve to create far more.

This war will not put an end to anti-Americanism; it will fan the flames of hatred even higher. It will not end the threat of weapons of mass destruction; it will make possible their further proliferation. And it will not lay the groundwork for the flourishing of democracy throughout the Mideast; it will harden the resolve of Arab states to drive out all Western (i.e. U.S.) influence.

If you thought Osama bin Laden was bad, just wait until the countless children who become orphaned by U.S. bombs in the coming weeks are all grown up. Do you think they will forget what country dropped the bombs that killed their parents? In 10 or 15 years, we will look back fondly on the days when there were only a few thousand Middle Easterners dedicated to destroying the U.S. and willing to die for the fundamentalist cause. From this war, a million bin Ladens will bloom.

And what exactly is our endgame here? Do we really believe that we can install Gen. Tommy Franks as the ruler of Iraq? Is our arrogance and hubris so great that we actually believe that a U.S. provisional military regime will be welcomed with open arms by the Iraqi people? Democracy cannot possibly thrive under coercion. To take over a country and impose one's own system of government without regard for the people of that country is the very antithesis of democracy. And it is doomed to fail.

A war against Iraq is not only morally wrong, it will be an unmitigated disaster.

No It Won't
    Bob Sheffer

No it won't.

It just won't. None of that will happen.

You're getting worked up over nothing. Everything is going to be fine. So just relax, okay? You're really overreacting.

"This war will not put an end to anti-Americanism; it will fan the flames of hatred even higher"?

It won't.

"It will harden the resolve of Arab states to drive out all Western (i.e. U.S.) influence"?

Not really.

"A war against Iraq is not only morally wrong, it will be an unmitigated disaster"?

Sorry, no, I disagree.

"To take over a country and impose one's own system of government without regard for the people of that country is the very antithesis of democracy"?

You are completely wrong.

Trust me, it's all going to work out perfect. Nothing bad is going to happen. It's all under control.

Why do you keep saying these things? I can tell when there's trouble looming, and I really don't sense that right now. We're in control of this situation, and we know what we're doing. So stop being so pessimistic.

Look, you've been proven wrong, so stop talking. You've had your say already. Be quiet, okay? Everything's fine.

You're wrong.

It successfully predicted thousands of arguments on teh internets too.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

And you point is.........

It's the internet. There will always be people on either side of an argument. So everything for the rest of existence will be accurately predicted (by someone).
    It's only interesting when it's yourself making the accurate prediction and you're rubbing it in other's faces.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think that's what he's just done to the majority of posters on this forum.

I remember making those predictions and I watch with incredulity as the powers that be keep on making the same mistakes.

Comment

Then he should have posted his prediction. That's all I'm trying to say.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think we all pretty much did at the time.

Repeatedly, ad nauseam.

I remember poly being a pretty nasty place at the time.

I remember a schism at CG: many of the American posters left it forever, never to return - to this very day.

Just the other day I came across a thread where I predicted a bunch of stuff about the cost in both lives and money, where I was ridiculed by the usual suspects - the worst thing is that even what I thought were worse case scenarios paled into insignificance to the actual realities that unfolded.

Predictions enough for you?

Everyone who ever supported the Iraq War in 2003 really should hang their heads in shame, because it wasn't as if they weren't warned repeatedly about all the possible bad consequences...

Comment

I was banned (again) for my objections

Comment

Originally posted by NICE MOBIUS View Post
              I think we all pretty much did at the time.

Repeatedly, ad nauseam.

I remember poly being a pretty nasty place at the time.

I remember a schism at CG: many of the American posters left it forever, never to return - to this very day.

Just the other day I came across a thread where I predicted a bunch of stuff about the cost in both lives and money, where I was ridiculed by the usual suspects - the worst thing is that even what I thought were worse case scenarios paled into insignificance to the actual realities that unfolded.

Predictions enough for you?

Everyone who ever supported the Iraq War in 2003 really should hang their heads in shame, because it wasn't as if they weren't warned repeatedly about all the possible bad consequences...
              Yep ... I remember myself and others at Poly, who were critical of/agaist the war, getting called Eurocoms by Polys who were pro war (and who even believed that it would only be a matter of time until the fabulous chemical weapon storages of Saddam would be found)

Well, I guess all of those pro war posters have changed their opinion by 180° meanwhile .. or aren´t around anymore

And I agree ... especially the most ardent war supporters in american society (those who called war protesters of the time "unamerican" or "unpatriotic" or even "traitors" and/or called for burning CDs of war protesting bands (liek the Dixie chicks)) should bow their head in shame ... and abstain from ever making any comment in public anymore
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Everyone against the war thought this. Dig up the old threads.

That is fun because you get to see who was stupid, who realized they are stupid and changed their tune, and who remains stupid to this day.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by NICE MOBIUS View Post
                  Everyone who ever supported the Iraq War in 2003 really should hang their heads in shame
                  What are you talking about? The Iraq War prevented a billion 9/11's, therefore it was a success.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Hillary supported the war and seems to have survived supporting it.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Hillary supported the war and seems to have survived supporting it.
                      Yes, and you've said on many occasions what a liar and a slippery customer she is...

This is why Bernie Sanders is the only presidential candidate worth a damn, because he saw through the bull**** and had the guts to stand up and tell it like it is: http://www.c-span.org/video/?c451299...poses-iraq-war

Comment

Her support of the war has nothing to do with the public's belief that she is untrustworthy.

But having said that, I don't think whether they supported the war or not should be the critical litmus test.
                        There are far more important challenges facing this country and as long as the candidate learned from the exercise, I can't expect more than that.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

lol Rah is old.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            There are far more important challenges facing this country and as long as the candidate learned from the exercise, I can't expect more than that.
                            If there's one thing that politicians should have learned from the Iraq war it's that you should always support going to war - if you oppose a war then you'll be vilified before the war for supporting tyranny, you'll be vilified during the war for not supporting the troops, and you'll be vilified after the war because you're an implicit reminder to the hawks of just how stupid they were. On the other hand, if you support a war and everything goes tits up then you won't suffer any negative repercussions.

In another generation people might applaud those who opposed the war and chastise those who supported the war, but by then you'll have retired so who gives a ****.
                            Last edited by loinburger; November 17, 2015, 17:00.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

That's the learning I was talking about. That you shouldn't always support a war because you're afraid of not doing it.

And I plan on voting well after I retire.
                              So change that to 'You'll have died"
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X