Should Lori slow the **** down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
    Well, it's not like I can pay either way...
    Don't worry. In science and engineering, people generally don't have to pay their own way through graduate school. My research position paid the tuition plus a small stipend.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If Lori is at UMD someone is failing at advising if he thinks he would pay anything for graduate school.

The problem with graduate school is the income that you lose out because you are taking a low paying assistantship.

The only schools I have heard about that had problems paying their graduate schools are low ranked places like Mississippi and Hampton.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If Lori is at UMD someone is failing at advising if he thinks he would pay anything for graduate school.

The problem with graduate school is the income that you lose out because you are taking a low paying assistantship.

The only schools I have heard about that had problems paying their graduate schools are low ranked places like Mississippi and Hampton.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I think there was some confusion in this thread. I was still talking about (paying for) my undergrad degree. I do understand what you're saying. No one has failed at advising me, because I generally do my best to avoid advising unless I've done something like failed a whole semester because I let my depression get the better of me.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

...do you guys have any advice for getting into grad school, anyway? How to choose? Who to talk to? How not to be laughed out of the room?
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

1. Do research
              2. Be friends with your professors
              3. Score well on the GRE/etc
              4. Have a good grade point average

JM
              (That is the order of importance too)
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

How to choose:

Pick a graduate school in an area you like and where you like the professors or the professors are doing research you like.

And if you want to go into Academia make sure that graduate school is Harvard/etc.

Generally make at least 4 applications: a safe school, a long shot, and two schools that you think are most appropriate. I made 10 applications and got into University of Washington (Math), University of Washington (Physics), University of Minnesota (Physics), University of Maryland (Physics), and University of Missouri (?) (Mathematical Physics). There was a safe school (Duke?) that I didn't need (University of Missouri was also probably a 'Safe School'). I didn't get into Berkeley.

JM
                Last edited by Jon Miller; November 15, 2015, 12:38.
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  1. Do research
                  I'm guessing Wikipedia doesn't count.

I don't have any friends.

Well, anything can happen...

I can probably manage that.

Crap.

How to choose:

Pick a graduate school in an area you like and where you like the professors or the professors are doing research you like.
                  I guess I should really figure out what I like, then...

And if you want to go into Academia make sure that graduate school is Harvard/etc.
                  If I don't want to go into academia, what's the point of grad school? (That sounds flippant, but I'm genuinely curious.)

(Thanks.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

If I don't want to go into academia, what's the point of grad school? (That sounds flippant, but I'm genuinely curious.)
                    Because you want to be a scientist but don't want to dedicate your life to it? If you can get your PhD in 5 years, then your salary upon leaving academia should be similar to those who went into the private sector right away (it isn't as costly as taking 6, 7 or 8 years).

Additionally, there are non-academic scientist positions (both in the private sector and public sector) where Harvard is not as important.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

1. Do research

JM
                      I would listen to Jon because he knows what he is talking about.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                      X