Do Creationists believe in erosion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Creationists believe in erosion?

Do Creationists believe in natural processes like plate tectonics and erosion?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Probably depends on what type of creationist. I suppose the term could technically be used to describe anyone who believes God created the cosmos by any means/in any sense whatever. In which case, yes, I do. Some are moderately wacky and deny evolution but allow the earth is quite old; I imagine they have no problem with other sciences. Six-day literalists . . . well, who gives a damn, anyway? But yes, they probably have important presuppositionalist classes where some Bible verse proves that water and earth are friends and would never fight each other, or something.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

AFAIK plate tectonics and erosion don´t contradict the bible (if taken literally).
      Therefore I guess that normally most creationists shouldn´t have big problems with those sciences ... although I´d assume that young earth creationists might claim that earth is too young for plate tectonics to have taken place
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Microerosion, yes. Clearly, you can go to a river and see water pushing dirt around. No one denies that, and it's only erosionists erecting deceitful straw men of us that say that. But no one has ever witnessed macroerosion, where erosionists claim water all by itself can create the grandeur and complexity of the Grand Canyon. And if you look around, you never see any evidence for the transitional forms erosionists say are out there. You never see half a canyon.
        Last edited by Lorizael; October 15, 2015, 08:23.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          Microerosion, But no one has ever witnessed macroerosion, where erosionists claim water all by itself can create the grandeur and complexity of the Grand Canyon.
          You ignorant heathen!
          The Grand Canyon is obvious evidence for Noah's Flood. Rapid receding waters from the Great Flood carved the Grand Canyon in just a few minutes!
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I saw a young earth creationist video in sunday school (which in hindsight is odd since Catholics usually aren't young earth creationists, but evidently this particular sunday school teacher was) that explained that there weren't any mountains prior to The Flood and also that it never rained prior to The Flood, there were just a ****ton of rivers and lakes etc. One "theory" is that all of the Flood waters were kept trapped in a big friggin cloud prior to being unleashed and a competing "theory" is that all of the Flood waters (that weren't in the various rivers/lakes/etc) were lying under the earth and shot up and rained down to create The Flood. (I don't recall the "theory" of "God just magicked all of the water into existence to create the Flood" being mentioned, which is strange because a. God could obviously magic a bunch of water into existence if he wanted to and we're already ignoring the hell out of science so why look for "scientific" explanations as to the waters' origin, and b. it's kind of sinister for God to create a bunch of water at the beginning of time that appeared to serve no purpose other than to wipe out all life on earth at a later date.) Anyway, all of the receding Flood waters created all of the mountains and canyons etc, so yes, erosion is a thing but it takes awhile to do anything unless it's the aftermath of a Flood in which case it's ridiculously powerful.

On a side note, I suspect that sunday school teachers were required to go through zero training - I was taught at least four conflicting explanations of the Trinity by four different sunday school teachers, and some of those explanations probably would have gotten them excommunicated or worse prior to or during the middle ages.
            Last edited by loinburger; October 15, 2015, 10:32.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I just love it when teachers use their platform to spew crazy ignorant bull**** they're totally sure they once read on a blog somewhere and stuff. Or a comic book from childhood. Especially when it's not even tangentially related to the actual curriculum they're supposed to be teaching. "Children, you see this [ancient Greek trireme]? You know who rowed it? Slaves. Chained-up slaves." GAAHH NO THIS IS AN ENGLISH CLASS THAT'S NOT EVEN RELEVANT WRONG INFORMATION!
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                I just love it when teachers use their platform to spew crazy ignorant bull**** ... "Children, you see this [ancient Greek trireme]? You know who rowed it? Slaves. Chained-up slaves." GAAHH NO THIS IS AN ENGLISH CLASS THAT'S NOT EVEN RELEVANT WRONG INFORMATION!
                ...or "A veteran phalanx unit can defeat a tank unit, or even a battleship." ...Where do they get this stuff?!?
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  Microerosion, yes. Clearly, you can go to a river and see water pushing dirt around. No one denies that, and it's only erosionists erecting deceitful straw men of us that say that. But no one has ever witnessed macroerosion, where erosionists claim water all by itself can create the grandeur and complexity of the Grand Canyon. And if you look around, you never see any evidence for the transitional forms erosionists say are out there. You never see half a canyon.
                  Who said the grand canyon isn't "half a canyon" ?
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Christians believe in microscopic demons with tiny pickaxes chipping away at rocks in order to fool scientists into believing erosion exists

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
                      Who said the grand canyon isn't "half a canyon" ?
                      Well, it's no Valles Marineris.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                        ...or "A veteran phalanx unit can defeat a tank unit, or even a battleship." ...Where do they get this stuff?!?
                        From wikipedia, obviously

Ethiopian Christmas Offensive
                        The Ethiopians slaughtered the infantry, then swarmed the tanks and killed their two-man crews. Italian forces organized a relief column made up of tanks and infantry to relieve Major Critini, but it ran into an Ethiopian ambush on the way. The Ethiopians occupying the high ground rolled boulders in front of and behind several of the tanks, immobilizing them. The Ethiopians picked off the Eritrean infantry, and swarmed the tanks. The other tanks were immobilized by the terrain and unable to advance further. The Ethiopians set two of these tanks on fire.
                        [...]
                        The Ethiopians were very poorly armed, with few machine guns, their troops mainly armed with swords and spears.
                        The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                        X