Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assess your job from the perspective of a retired coal miner and a smug unemployed layabout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assess your job from the perspective of a retired coal miner and a smug unemployed layabout

The retired coal miner spent their career eating rocks and ****ting out coal, so let's hope that your job produces something tangible or they might not judge it too kindly

The smug unemployed layabout doesn't have a job and doesn't want a job and pities anybody who has a job, so let's hope that your job doesn't make you a sellout to the man or whatever

I'm a programmer who writes programs that analyze data so that other people can make decisions based on the data analysis, so I'd say that the coal miner will give a 2/10 (just head of the awful people who just move money around). The smug unemployed layabout will probably give me closer to a 5/10 because I work from home and can emulate their hygiene or lack thereof if I so choose and can also sleep in as late as I want, but because I don't play video games all day I can't get a higher rating.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

I play video games all day and then tell people how to play video games better. Advertisers pay me to put pictures of their stuff by those recommendations.

The retired coal miner will beat me to death with the handle of his pickaxe if given the chance ... for helping his progeny waste their lives and his hard earned cash on buying imaginary objects in imaginary worlds. Also because "mining' in these games involves pressing a button and getting tons of gold. -1/10

The smug unemployed layabout will inform me about the qualities of my recommendations and lineage, but wishes he had advertisers paying him to do so. Thus my job is his dream job. 10/10

Comment

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I sell an obsolete product (books) marketed via an obsolete advertising system (mail order catalogs) to obsolete customers (old people who don't know what Amazon is).

The retired coal miner would probably think me a pansy for ever claiming to be tired after a day's work, but would appreciate that I'm doing my part to keep real books alive rather than fussing around with AOL or whatever those damn kids are reading these days. 4/10

Sava The smug unemployed layabout would ridicule me for letting the man dictate where I'm allowed to sit and what I'm allowed to say for hours on end, but might give me a high five for finding a job where, at any given moment, I'm just as likely to be reading a book as taking phone orders. 3/10
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think they would both point and laugh at me.
          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I program. ABAP, C mostly, 16bit C, nothing fancy. I work about 6 hours a week....

forgot what the threadf was about - VUT tryijng now to start new threadS!

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
              The retired coal miner spent their career eating rocks and ****ting out coal, so let's hope that your job produces something tangible or they might not judge it too kindly
              I drive city buses. I reckon the coal miner would like that, particularly if he drove trucks/heavy machinery for large amounts of time. I rinse the diesel soot off my teeth with beer every day, and use the alcohol to soothe my aching back. I interact a lot with white collar workers on their way to work who are very nervous around blue collar workers, which I enjoy. My job involves burning a fair amount of fossil fuel, which he'd like, but he may or may not realise that that means less CO2 per person. 8/10

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
              The smug unemployed layabout doesn't have a job and doesn't want a job and pities anybody who has a job, so let's hope that your job doesn't make you a sellout to the man or whatever
              This guy hates/pities me. My life is regimented by the clock - varying shift times as per weekly roster, often spanning 12 hours to cover both peaks, 6-day working week, chained to the wheel, and of course sticking to the timetables. Probably even worse is that I help to keep the whole capitalist/working system going by freighting hundreds of workers per day to and from their jobs.

On the other hand, I sit on my arse all day looking at (through) an enormous screen displaying moving, colourful images, while interacting with/controlling to some extent what appears in that screen. 2/10
              Last edited by ricketyclik; October 6, 2015, 08:03.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                On the other hand, I sit on my arse all day looking at (through) an enormous screen displaying moving, colourful images, while interacting with/controlling to some extent what appears in that screen. 2/10
                I hope you never get the urge to score points.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

the retired coal miner died last year of lung cancer, he wasn't available for a rating

and obviously i'm rating my own "job" a 10 duh
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

also my opinions are morally more valuable that yours because my free time has allowed me to think about my beliefs more than your life permits you to do for yours
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                      I hope you never get the urge to score points.
                      Oh I get the urge. In my early weeks I brushed against some teenagers who deliberately walked out in front of me. I still get urges, but I live them out in my mind.

But after spending thousands of hours driving this year, I've realised - more concretely than I had before - that everyone has lapses in judgement/attention on occasion, better to forgive, be thankful nothing bad happened, and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                        But after spending thousands of hours driving this year, I've realised - more concretely than I had before - that everyone has lapses in judgement/attention on occasion, better to forgive, be thankful nothing bad happened, and move on.
                        I've tried very hard to cultivate this attitude.

Comment

that kind of attitude allows ****ty drivers to get away with being ****ty drivers

people need to be held accountable for assholism
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've always thought that every car should be equipped with a paint ball gun in the front, so when someone was driving like an ass you could fire at his car. (explosives would be better but would probably thin the herd too much)

Then when you saw a car covered with paint ball shots you could plan on them being an ass and act with fore knowledge.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

We bow to your superiority, Sava.

(x-post)

Comment

Working...
                              X