No announcement yet.

The Poly Pub Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a couple of drinks, some appetizers, and good conversation; I glance around the silence of the dance floor. "Jsorense, do you feel like dancing? I will let you choose the music." I smile at him hopefully, with fingers crossed under the table.

Comment

A jaunty melody erupts from my handbag and I look apologetically to Jsorense. "Sorry, I recognize that tone, it is my husband. I best answer it." Jsorense sighs but gives a knowing nod of understanding and excuses himself to go to the bar, allowing me some privacy.
      He returns as I am replacing the phone in my handbag. "Jsorense, I hate to run out on you again, but I completely forgot my husband had other plans for us tonight!" I stand up to leave and gently place my hand on his cheek for emphasis. "We will dance again. ...Soon."

Comment

"Alone Again, Naturally" hums jsorense. Almost supernaturally the jukebox picks up the tune and reels out the melancholy reframe.
        Looking down at the table jsorense notices for the first time some scratches that appear to be Patterns. Lifting up his shades and putting on his bifocals he leans down for a closer look. The scratches are childlike but by squinting and getting the oblique light just right words begin to form from the innumerable glass stains, cigarette burns and globs of chewing gum. The writing seemed to say.
        "You don't buy beer you rent it. Ming 1/1/1969"
        " Why are you looking up here, ashamed of it? rah 2/22/71"
        To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

The staff looks at me quizzically, as I gained their attention by rapping on the window. They motion and point to the sign regarding their hours. Frustrated, I look at my watch and then, continue to rap on the window. One of the larger men makes his way to the door. After a few short clicks, the door is opened a crack. "I am so sorry to bother you, but I was hoping to see if anyone found a heart pendant necklace last night?" He glances back at the other staff members, who all look non-plussed. "I am sure the clasp broke again, can I please look around where I sat last night or in the ladies room?" Before anyone could respond, I added. "It really is very important to me to find it!" I reached in my handbag and draw out a Twenty dollar bill.

The door opens wider and the man grins. "Mrs. Civ, keep your money. You are going to need it to pay the tab that you are ringing up!" A couple of the wait staff giggle in the background.
          "Thank you. I will not be long." I hurried to my favorite barstool area and looked along the base of the bar. Nothing. Jsorense! I was with him last night. I scanned the table and chairs. Once again, to no avail. 'It has to be in the ladies room!' I noticed one of the female waitstaff was following me in. She stopped at the door and held it open while I gave search.

Embarrassingly, I realized I would have to look in every stall. Sigh. 'Wait! Was that a golden glint from the next stall?' I hurried over and sure enough, there was my pendant dangling on a pipe behind the stool. 'ugh...I remember now. That fried shrimp did not agree with me last night!' I untangled the chain and held up my pendant in victory.

The staff applauded at my discovery but I could tell they really just wanted me to be gone. The one man showed me to the door."Mrs. Civ, if you don't mind me asking. Why didn't you just wait until opening time?"
          I looked at the pendant in my hand. "It is a locket and has something inside that I needed before then." With a nod and a wave, I rushed out the door and hurried on down the walk.

Comment

I have returned, with a large bag hanging off of my shoulder. The bartender smiles in greeting and asks, "you ready to sit down and have the regular?"
            I glance about the empty room, glad it was not happy hour yet. "Oh yes indeed and I will have it back here in the corner too." I slide into a corner booth and drag the large bag alongside. Pulling out and stacking books, notepads, highliters, and my magnifying glass onto the table in front of me.

The bartender serves me my drink with a curiously raised eyebrow while looking at my collection. "Research, Mrs. Civ?"
            "ummm...yes, research!" I gave him a dismissal smile and expression.

Comment

Slowly sipping my second drink, I see a slim built man hovering outside the pub doorway looking confused. He enters and scans the room, his gaze stopping on me. "are you Mrs. Civ?" he queried.

I was surprised to hear this strange man knew my name. I was expecting and waiting to see my acquaintance Dr. Sherbiny, an Egyptologist. This man, I did not recognize. I considered whether I should not acknowledge him, then noticed the scroll roll on his back! "yes, please join me here in the corner! " I exclaimed with delight.

"Dr. Sherbiny has returned to the Cairo Museum to see what else may be discovered. He asked me to bring you this." He reached back and removed the roll and handed it to me. "I must hurry to catch my return flight to Italy." With that said, he hurriedly dashed out the door and away.

I felt a trembling of excitement at what was inside this roll. Shakily, I grabbed my drink and downed it. Twisted off the top and pulled out a freshly printed copy of the newly discovered 2.5 meter long Egyptian Papyrus that Dr. Sherbiny had recently reconstructed. He dates the roll to between 2,300 BC and 2,000 BC, from the late Old Kingdom up to the early Middle Kingdom, and says it contains many new religious texts, including a large pictorial-textual segment from the so-called Book of Two Ways, known from the floorboard decorations of Middle Kingdom coffins, as well as religious spells formulated in the first-person singular, probably intended for recitation by a priest.

I, on the other hand, realized all of the middle kingdom coffins were scrolled into the coffins. This was different for a reason. I was very excited and realized I needed to calm my nerves. Catching the bartenders eye, I ordered another drink.

Comment

Slinking into the bar wearing an outfit that screamed 1940's private eye Sam Spade/Philip Marlowe jsorense tip toes toward the corner booth.
                "Hey, what do you expect? My Indiana Jones suit is at the cleaners." he grumbles to no one on particular.
                The staff try to ignore him but more than one exchanged glances that seemed to say, "Oh no, not again!"
                The one person who took particular notice of jsorense was the full-time pub bouncer, Aeson. As usual he was at his station next to the swinging saloon doors looking like none other than 'Mr. Clean' complete with shaved head, gold ear ring and muscle stretched t-shirt.
                Last edited by jsorense; September 20, 2015, 17:07.
                To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

My eyes were beginning to strain. The lighting in the pub was not enough to study any longer. I noticed others have arrived without my notice. Scanning the room, I spy Jsorense had also arrived. "Jsorense, over here....I owe you a dance!" I hurriedly attempt to clear the table. I had a feeling I was not quick enough in rolling the scroll and know he seen at least a portion of it. I questioned to my own paranoid mind, whether he was trustworthy?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	xi55fd364e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	9101920

Comment

Mrs Civ and Jsorense finally have their dance again. Everyone watches as they overtake the dance floor.
                    Last edited by My Hubby Loves Civ; September 20, 2015, 20:46.

Comment

Exhilarated, excited, and exhausted, I gather my things from the corner booth. Turning to Jsorense, I smile sadly. "I must go now, but I will return."
                      I rush for the door and take notice of Aeson's knowing grin, as I exit the pub into the darkness of the night, I see he his holding Jsorense's hat. Did I toss it to him? What did that grin signify?
                      Last edited by My Hubby Loves Civ; September 20, 2015, 20:52.

Comment

Aeson flips jsorense his well travelled fedora and smirks, "Not bad for an old man."
                        Wondering why in hell he tried to dance a tango at his age jsorense slowly, painfully eased his way back to the familiar booth. Was it that he was just getting too old or was Mrs. Civ putting on a little weight? Well, a gentleman doesn't contemplate such things. The night was getting old and jsorense knew he had already drunk his limit. There was only one thing left to do: PINBALL! But before he could launch himself at the waiting machines jsorense noticed something on the floor under the table. There was a golden locket and a strange map with a big black X on it.
                        "Hmmmmmm," pondered jsorense as he fished in his pocket for quarters, "I wonder if these are important."

Comment

Entering the Pub, I quickly make my way to the corner booth I had last night. A quick scan of the area showed it was completely cleared and clean. 'Damn! What is wrong with me for not making sure I had packed my locket and map.' My attention is distracted as one of the wait staff appears and asks if I wish to order.

After ordering lunch and being reassurred the staff did not have my locket, I returned to my thoughts. I questioned Jsorense trustworthiness last night. Could he have recognized what I was up to? He didn't seem too curious, but was that just a ploy? It did seem quite opportune that he started coming to this Pub the same night I did. Has he been following me? Now that I think of it, he never seems to leave before me! Who is Jsorense really?

My lunch arrives and I pull out an article review on Egypts Old Kingdom 4th Dynasty. 'Everything was coming together perfectly, I will have to be more careful.'

Comment

I can't believe how much time has passed. I was already late for a meeting I had scheduled for 1pm. I had to hurry! Thankfully, it was scheduled just around the block. Perhaps, it would seem as if I am fashionably late. Sigh. I shoved my book into my handbag and called to the bartender to add it all to my tab. In my hurry, I misstep and my heel breaks off! Aaugh! I can't just have one heel. Quickly, I remove my other shoe and slam it down on the sidewalk just outside the door. That heel snapped off too. Replacing my shoe, I noticed a few of the pub staff in the window trying to hide their giggles. I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment, but I had no time to explain myself! I hurried down the sidewalk out of their view.

Comment

Thankfully, I collaspe back in my corner booth. I push my shoes off and use my toes to massage my aching feet under the table. Catching the bartender's attention, I am assured my drink is on the way.

Denise Benner was extremely helpful in our meeting earlier. Her husband and she are quite the enthusiasts in ancient Hebrew languages. I pull out my notes to review and absorb the details.

The Qumran Copper Scroll has a text passage similar to that found in the Westcar Papyrus. This important passage is a Hebrew phrase found on the Copper Scroll which may relate to the Cheops Secret Chamber. It reads (transcribed):

MSHN' HKTB HZ' WPRWSHH WMSHHWTYHM WPRWT KL 'HD W'H(D)

The Qumran text indicates:

1) the "key" to decode the Qumran Copper Scroll is found on the "original" of this Copper Scroll - and, according to the Westcar Papyrus, this original copper scroll must be found in the Pyramid of Cheops in the room of the "revision" (actually, the hieroglyph reads room of "Sirius", but "calendric revision" is also correct)

2) the original copper scroll may be found together with another treasure and a decoded guide to the location of many other treasures buried in the stone blocks of the Great Pyramids or in the Valley of Kings or elsewhere - treasures which are clearly identified in the Mishnayot.

Realizing this was a momentous occasion to celebrate. I downed my drink and signaled for another! The copy of the reconstructed scroll that Dr. Sherbiny provided me and with these two other scrolls all point to the Great Pyramid of Giza and more specifically, the southern shaft within the Queen's Chamber!

Comment

Glancing at my watch, I notice that Jsorense should arrive soon if he stays on schedule. I keep looking at the door expectantly. I need to try and discover what he knows or doesn't know? Staring at my drink, I begin to feel so alone. My husband has no clue about who I really am. I portray a perfect wife persona, but I learned early that I could not share the reality with him.

I grasp my glass and swirl the liquid before me. It is almost mesmerizing with the glints of light playing upon it. Ugh! I gulp the liquid down and don't bother waiting for another, I cross over to the bar.
                                Last edited by My Hubby Loves Civ; September 21, 2015, 16:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X