Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I've been watching the HBO miniseries, Deadwood . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've been watching the HBO miniseries, Deadwood . . .

and I like it; I enjoy the show.

But why do quite a number of the characters sound like they're talking in Shakespearian dialogue, or talk as if they're doing poetry slam, when engaged in ordinary conversation with one another??
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

JUST WATCH THE ****ING SHOW

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hmmm, how did people speak back in that time period? If only there were a history major somewhere who might be able to answer that question.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

The dialogue in the show represents a stylistic decision to show formal language mixed with obscenity. I think it is supposed to support the idea that these are people who want to appear civilized when they are, just beneath the surface, savages.

I don't think that the show is much improved by analysis, though. I think that it is best to just watch the show and let your emotions be manipulated by the excellent writing and acting, without thinking too much about it until after you have finished.
        The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
        - A. Lincoln

Comment

If you want to overanalyze an HBO program then I suggest that you attempt to watch Carnivale
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

It's heavily influenced by how people wrote in letters at that time, since there are no recordings of actual vernacular speech. The style was for letters to be quite florid.

Was that how the common man actually spoke? Probably not. I don't think they were any more likely to mimic that style in speech than we today are likely to ape business letters.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Because it's ****ing awesome. The ridiculous speech patterns are a big part of what makes Deadwood so great.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Welcome back Felch! Nice to see you aren't dead yet.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Felch
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                    Hmmm, how did people speak back in that time period? If only there were a history major somewhere who might be able to answer that question.
                    Well, I have a Masters in U.S. History, but I have never heard a person from the nineteenth century speak to me, yet, so I cannot say for certain, the way that many of them would have spoken. Probably has something to do with the fact that they're all dead.

I've only researched, reviewed, and read many primary documents from that time period (letters, newspaper editorials, journal entries, etc.). Maybe people really did speak in everyday, ordinary conversation exactly in the same way that they wrote to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      JUST WATCH THE ****ING SHOW

okay . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                        Because it's ****ing awesome. The ridiculous speech patterns are a big part of what makes Deadwood so great.

Comment

I've always heard that Samuel Clemens was excellent at capturing the essence of language in through the way his character's spoke. So, I always imagined people from later 19th century America talking like they did in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Comment

Working...
                          X