Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Oliver is worth 20 minutes of your time

Comment

and I'm worth 2 minutes of your time trying to tell me john salad dressing someone is worth my time.

please... go feed your dog.

Comment

wow, drunk... not even ssure what thatg means?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          John Oliver is worth 20 minutes of your time
          Sure he is. It's funny. It also has some pretty crap points.

Bleating about 500 barrels of oil spilled in an area producing hundreds of thousands or millions per day is like complaining that there's one death a year due to motor car accidents in the same state.

They are both unfortunate, but also infinitesimally small amounts in the scheme of things. File under **** will happen.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Then there's the claim about workplace deaths per whatever. That got my nose interested to look into numbers, but I'm severely lacking motivation (and time). Anyone want to go on that being a crap stat too? My money's on easy points, good comedy and not much substance.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

And then there's his main argument. That an oil company fobbed off worker deaths on subcontractors through indemnification.

Well...

If you own a home and hire people to come in and do work you do exactly the same damn thing every time you do it, unless you're a moron!

You own some property. You need people to work on it. You want them to be responsible. You require them to be, and you require them to indemnify you in case something goes wrong.

Say you need your roof redone. You need the contractor to be insured to pay for the problems if one of their employees falls off your roof. If the contractor doesn't have that insurance and has not indemnified you, guess what happens when someone falls off YOUR PROPERTY?

Three guesses and the first two don't count!
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

It was so good I posted it twice.
                Last edited by notyoueither; October 13, 2015, 01:03.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

I would say theres a wide range of ethical/moral variation possible within indemnification. From innocently protecting yourself from other peoples mistakes in regards to unknown regulations, to counting on or encouraging other peoples mistakes over long periods of time and counting on lax application of regulations to allow it to continue.

In general we dont have enough personal accountability in the system, everyone trying to find a legal way to pass off as much personal responsibility as possible while passing off as little of the profits as possible.

Comment

Griswold

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
                      So who does the EPA fine when its own incompetence is the cause of an environmental disaster?
                      Mission accomplished ?
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                      X