No announcement yet.

Wales bashing thrade (Troll thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I picked up from war gaming is Wales looks small but quite difficult to conquer or hold, especially for pre-modern armies with fragile supply lines. Even into the 20th century parts of Wales were a law to themselves.

The reason is the topography is very challenging, there is a lot packed in there, mountains, hills, rivers, marshes and heathland.

You end up going around in circles, which probably explains all the castles, troops having to be left behind to hold crucial points. In the end it just isn't worth it so the area was left to the Welsh for long stretches of its history, similar to the Scottish highlands.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
        I think that castles one could only be surpassed by a Pole boasting that his nation had the greatest concentration of Nazi death camps in the world. It's like "NO NATION HAS EVER BEEN MADE ANOTHER NATION'S B1TCH AS EMPHATICALLY AS WALES HAS, AND THAT MAKES ME PROUD!!!"
        Actually, a sizeable number of Wales' castles are Welsh, so only partially right there. And yes I do see them as a badge of honour, clearly the castles were needed as Wales wasn't going to allow itself to simply be meekly defeated.

In fact, Owain Glyndwr still successfully rebelled despite all the castles, and it actually took the Welsh born Henry V to finally defeat him.

After that we were able to successfully infiltrate the monarchy by installing the Tudor Dynasty. Obviously as we Welsh are so tough, no favour was given to our countrymen...
        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
          This one comes close. We were B1tch slapped by Rome.......And THIS MAKES ME PROUD!
          Everyone got B1tch slapped by the Romans. Again, the fact that the Romans needed to build one of their legionary forts in Wales points again to our stubbornness in the face of overwhelming forces.

Not to mention that Welsh tribes waged a successful guerilla and set-piece battle campaign under the leadership of Caratacus for almost a decade.

So impressed were the Romans with Caratacus, that they actually pardoned him and allowed him to live out his days in Rome.
          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            The record shop doesn't have the oldest records. We have Thomas Edison's very first record recordings and he investment the bloody thing. Oh, and your old trees are nothing but Johnny come latelys. We have the oldest trees in the world.
            I didn't say we invented the damned things, just that we have the world's oldest continually trading record shop...

There was an even older tree at the same location but in 1964 a scientist accidentally killed it while trying to core it and find out how old it was.
            No, he didn't kill it by accident, it was definitely on purpose. When you deliberately chop something down, that's on purpose - not an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
              One thing I picked up from war gaming is Wales looks small but quite difficult to conquer or hold, especially for pre-modern armies with fragile supply lines. Even into the 20th century parts of Wales were a law to themselves.

The reason is the topography is very challenging, there is a lot packed in there, mountains, hills, rivers, marshes and heathland.

You end up going around in circles, which probably explains all the castles, troops having to be left behind to hold crucial points. In the end it just isn't worth it so the area was left to the Welsh for long stretches of its history, similar to the Scottish highlands.
              Dude, you're mellowing in your old age...

Weren't you supposed to be a troll par excellence in your younger years - you're actually helping me out.

This is a thread where people are supposed to troll me - though really I'm finding it a great opportunity to showcase my awesome Welsh knowledge, and the awesomeness of Wales and the Welsh in general...

Comment

I'm trolling those trying to troll you

As fellow Celts I need to stand up - Stick it, the Welsh!

(do you know where that comes from?)
                Last edited by Alexander's Horse; July 28, 2015, 06:12.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I do indeed...

It's funny, I did quite an extensive battlefield tour of the Western Front with friends last year - all it made me realise was just how little I saw, or did, or knew...

I'm thinking of going again next year, using the centenary of Verdun as the excuse to fill in some gaps, as that is the one major sector we didn't visit.

Comment

Never had the chance to do that.

Seriously the Welsh have lived next to the English for millennia, haven't they suffered enough?

It turns out my Mum's family ancient roots are in Cornwall.

Isn't Cornwall where Laz/Bugs comes from? Or did he just surf there when he still had muscle strength.

Could be a bridge too far...

Comment

I'm trolling those trying to troll you

As fellow Celts I need to stand up - Stick it, the Welsh!

(do you know where that comes from?)
                      Awesome. Trolled out Horsie too when I was really only trolling Moby.

Two for the price of one

Comment

Never had the chance to do that.

Seriously the Welsh have lived next to the English for millennia, haven't they suffered enough?
                        I know, it is a bit of a drag...

It turns out my Mum's family ancient roots are in Cornwall.

Isn't Cornwall where Laz/Bugs comes from? Or did he just surf there when he still had muscle strength.

Could be a bridge too far...
                        Cornwall is a lovely part of the country, but I think Laz is more from around Bristol/Somerset. I think he's more pissed that Wales is a better place for England and Wales to play the Aussies in The Ashes than England...

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                          Awesome. Trolled out Horsie too when I was really only trolling Moby.

Two for the price of one
                          And I take it your ancestry is 100% English convict then?

Comment

My Grandmother was as Cornish as a pasty, and my Grandfather moved to join her in Cornwall- so I spent a lot of time there on family holidays.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

How did a meat pie gain geographical origin protection???

Anyway, it's nice to know that rutabagas aren't in danger of extinction.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Apparently, the Welsh open college campuses that no students want to go to.
                                http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-33680352
                                So, they've got wasting money going for them.....
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X