No announcement yet.

Your gun laws are a mistake: National Rifle Association to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno, last year - once you file these things they are usually forgotten.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Lying is what the NRA does. It is what they have always done.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
        This is the real problem America is grappling with - and I really feel for you all on that. No easy answers at all.
        Nothing like this is ever too late, it might just take a really long time is all...

But then, the NRA seems to have already won the war by making rank and file Americans think that there's no point.

All you need is a bit of resolve and to start chipping away at the edges, such as stopping crazies from easily getting permits, really cracking down on the crooked gunshop owners - all the stuff that your average American would support...

What needs to change is America's warped culture towards guns and this will take a long time through a long series of gradual and incremental steps.

Australia should be the US' roadmap - no wonder the NRA feel so threatened by what has happened in that country...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
          Nobody noticed - which says it all really about these plans like OH&S and the Fire Plan that management people have to produce or sign off on. I spend as little time on them as possible.
          They've used it in the US to raise the visibility of emergency planning. It was actually effective based on what I remember. (the fact that I remembered is something on it's own)
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
            The Supreme Court could always step in when somebody challenges a gun control law and say that you can only own guns if you're in a militia, which would then limit (legal) firearm ownership to the country's craziest citizens.
            Yes, the supreme court could pull **** out of its ass. That's not actually the meaning of the 2nd amendment. In any case that ship has sailed. The supreme court has upheld the right of citizens to own firearms; circuit courts have upheld the right of citizens to carry them. Concealed carry is (nominally) legal in all 50 states, and more or less unrestricted in 43 states (all but Hawaii, California, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.)

Also, the NRA could just call itself a militia.
            Last edited by regexcellent; July 14, 2015, 18:58.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              They've used it in the US to raise the visibility of emergency planning. It was actually effective based on what I remember. (the fact that I remembered is something on it's own)

Ya I'm getting to the stage where remembering is difficult, although I'm having more difficulty with caring....
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                Being pro gun in spite of the overwhelming evidence of the death and misery it causes, must be one of the most stupid and idiotic stances to take ever...

It's almost as bad as still being a smoker after knowing how stupidly bad it is for you - or living somewhere like Texas...

So, basically Slowwhand - unless he's finally seen the light (not the lighter!) and given up fags.
                What overwhelming evidence? Gun ownership rates are inversely correlated with murder rates in the US.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

State by state in the US, where guns are freely available in any case, but not country by country, where there are more obstacles to obtaining a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                    National -> run by US Army. So, yes and no. A State run militia would eliminate that 2nd Amendment loophole.
                    The US Army doesn't run the National Guard. The National Guards meet every criterion laid down for the "well-regulated militia" that the Second Amendment was designed to protect (see Federalist Papers #28 and #46). Its officers are appointed by the state governments, and answer to them. They are the state-run militias.
                    The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                    - A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                      The US Army doesn't run the National Guard. The National Guards meet every criterion laid down for the "well-regulated militia" that the Second Amendment was designed to protect (see Federalist Papers #28 and #46). Its officers are appointed by the state governments, and answer to them. They are the state-run militias.
                      Some states also have a "state defense force" thing. I went to one of their meetings once when I was in ROTC, it was mostly old retired guys whining about Obama and barbecuing. Which admittedly was entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        old retired guys whining about Obama and barbecuing
                        you just described every gun owner ever
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                        X