No announcement yet.

Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage Nationwide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really sure where she's going with this. Did she have a game plan going in? She could probably get a decent book deal out of this, if nothing else. Might make up for losing her job (could she get jail time for contempt of court in this case?).

EDIT: Yes, she could. Read the damn article, Elok.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

She'll simply put her trust in the Lord to provide for His faithful flock. God has never failed to provide for her before. If she goes to jail and loses her job, then clearly it's God's will to test her faith.

Comment

You're assuming an elected official is naive and acting purely from principle. That is generally not a safe assumption.
        1011 1100

Comment

I mean, it's possible she really does see this as Ms. Smith Goes To Sodom And Gomorrah. But even trivial elected posts do not get filled by people utterly devoid of ambition. Back in the rural MD area I moved from, there was cutthroat competition when the Register of Wills position opened up. Why? Because it's an easy job that can be used as a springboard to better positions. This lady got her job as a result of a long-term effort, and she has just thrown it away. Was it a sudden explosion of principle, or something else?

A factor to consider: once she has paid the fine or done the time (assuming crowdfunding doesn't pay for the former and she doesn't wiggle out of the latter due to local popularity or political deals), she will have a premade career as a public speaker or author, or both, on the national level. She may not think of it in precisely those terms--maybe she just sees it as an opportunity to serve the Lord by leading His people or something--but even if she isn't planning it that way, people are going to be throwing money at her as soon as the smoke clears.
          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            You had to know there would be a smattering of wingnuts that were going to deny reality. Hopefully a little jail time will put the rest of the bigots on notice.
            actually, i hope that doesn't happen. it would give the "HURR DURR, THEY'RE PERSECUTING CHRISTIANS!" crowd a lamentable legitimacy.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Once they've denied reality, it gets easier to do it again.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
              X