Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you argue with people in real life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you argue with people in real life?

I've met some people in real life who are possibly even worse than some of the people I've met online, but I've learned not to argue with them (except about work-related stuff, since several of them were/are co-workers - just because somebody is racist or whatever doesn't mean that I'm just going to concede to them how a program should be written). The problem with arguing with people in real life is that they might never go away. For example, I had a co-worker who was virulently anti-vaccination (harrrrr) who I made the mistake of engaging in his favorite discussion - after about five minutes I got sick of the discussion ("welp, this guy's stupid and/or crazy, whatever"), but it took him about six months to get sick of the discussion ("I'm so goddamned stupid and/or crazy that I don't know when to shut up!"); had the exchange been online then a. I could have put him on ignore or closed the browser tab or whatever, and b. some other schmuck would have engaged his attention (what helped save me was when we got a new hire who made the mistake of talking to the guy about vaccinations). So in real life I'm much more reserved because I absolutely detest arguments that don't have any sort of escape route. (That was a major part of my relationship with my older brother for many years. loinbro: let's have an argument! loin: Sure, you win. loinbro: Hooray!)

I've sometimes wondered the same thing about the other people I see arguing online - some people's online personas are outright fabrications, but for the rest how much are they an exaggeration? To take two extreme examples: are MrFun and Ben Kenobi really like that in real life, or are they intentionally exaggerating what they are, or are they unintentionally exaggerating what they are, or are they fabricating what they are? How about you?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

that's what make poly fun. you can say pretty much anything.

Comment

Just don't try dickgirling the place

Comment

when I was five and my sister was three, i told her that if she peed standing up, God would give her a penis... because he forgot to give her one
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

i got busted when my mom discovered large puddles of urine in the bathroom
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I argue only with people I know are reasonable. When people with ridiculous opinions or who don't know how to make a coherent argument try to argue with me, I just nod and acknowledge their opinions, but don't follow up. Eventually they go away.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

sounds like you would be ok in COT

Comment

I'm more real online than I am IRL.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I am way too sarcastic for that. I also like being able to call a dumbass, dumbass.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                    I've met some people in real life who are possibly even worse than some of the people I've met online, but I've learned not to argue with them (except about work-related stuff, since several of them were/are co-workers - just because somebody is racist or whatever doesn't mean that I'm just going to concede to them how a program should be written). The problem with arguing with people in real life is that they might never go away. For example, I had a co-worker who was virulently anti-vaccination (harrrrr) who I made the mistake of engaging in his favorite discussion - after about five minutes I got sick of the discussion ("welp, this guy's stupid and/or crazy, whatever"), but it took him about six months to get sick of the discussion ("I'm so goddamned stupid and/or crazy that I don't know when to shut up!"); had the exchange been online then a. I could have put him on ignore or closed the browser tab or whatever, and b. some other schmuck would have engaged his attention (what helped save me was when we got a new hire who made the mistake of talking to the guy about vaccinations). So in real life I'm much more reserved because I absolutely detest arguments that don't have any sort of escape route. (That was a major part of my relationship with my older brother for many years. loinbro: let's have an argument! loin: Sure, you win. loinbro: Hooray!)

I've sometimes wondered the same thing about the other people I see arguing online - some people's online personas are outright fabrications, but for the rest how much are they an exaggeration? To take two extreme examples: are MrFun and Ben Kenobi really like that in real life, or are they intentionally exaggerating what they are, or are they unintentionally exaggerating what they are, or are they fabricating what they are? How about you?
                    There are too many words in this poast for me to read and that makes AAHZ sad.
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

In real life people don't like to argue with people who are in the majority. For example, atheists don't come to my church and start arguing with people. If they did the people at my church would have no problem arguing with them.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                        In real life people don't like to argue with people who are in the majority. For example, atheists don't come to my church and start arguing with people. If they did the people at my church would have no problem arguing with them.
                        An atheist going to a church to argue with everybody would be the real-life equivalent of internet trolling. Sort of like picketing soldiers' funerals or whatever - 0% of it would be trying to influence others' opinions and 100% of it would be seeking negative attention.

Comment

I don't argue with people, I find at FIFA everyone agrees with me sooner or later
                          “I am the president now, the president of everybody.”
                          The Grinch who stole football:
                          http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-346543857.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                            An atheist going to a church to argue with everybody would be the real-life equivalent of internet trolling. Sort of like picketing soldiers' funerals or whatever - 0% of it would be trying to influence others' opinions and 100% of it would be seeking negative attention.
                            Arguing with people is always seeking negative attention, but you get positive attention from bystanders who agree with you. So yeah, someone like an atheist going to a church to argue with people probably likes to be put down all the time or something.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Not at all.
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X