No announcement yet.

Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier, what a target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you would think if you build a 13billion dollar carrier you would be able to defend it. or it's a real big bluff. hard to say in todays world.

Comment

What's the top speed of a carrier, how much does it take to accelerate to such speed, how tight can it turn, how far away could the launch be detected, and how much can a ballistic missile be guided on the second half of it's flight?
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

top speed depends... on the way back to the US we would feed into the engines a little jp5, jet fuel. they were call liberty turns (extra power to the shafts). but I was on an old carrier... cv59. I think that could do 30mph in smooth water... these new carriers must go faster.

Comment

hmm... not much it seems

Speed: In excess of 30 knots (56 km/h; 35 mph)

I guess they are getting bigger

Comment

Hm? Don't they have electric engines and nuclear power?
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
              I mean it depends on what they fired at it... and how many. fire enough missiles that travel fast enough and some are getting through. how many missiles does it take to get to the center of a carrier?
              To fire missiles at it, you have to know where it is. To know where it is, you need to get targeting data from something. The carrier group can shoot that something down, or sink it. If it's a satellite, they can just change course after it passes by.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Two A1B nuclear reactors

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
                  top speed depends... on the way back to the US we would feed into the engines a little jp5, jet fuel. they were call liberty turns (extra power to the shafts). but I was on an old carrier... cv59. I think that could do 30mph in smooth water... these new carriers must go faster.
                  The nuclear carriers have the nuclear power plant shafted directly into the screws, or at least the Nimitz carriers do. Not sure about USS Ford.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    To fire missiles at it, you have to know where it is. To know where it is, you need to get targeting data from something. The carrier group can shoot that something down, or sink it. If it's a satellite, they can just change course after it passes by.
                    all true... but I bet it's not very stealthy either... or maybe it might be.

Comment

I'm working out how to steal it already
                      “I am the president now, the president of everybody.”
                      The Grinch who stole football:
                      http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-346543857.jpg

Comment

just hack it... and sail away.

Comment

It would be easy, we just ask to borrow and never repay, like always
                          My message to the world:http://the18.com/sites/default/files...ynch-DOJ_0.png
                          http://www.101greatgoals.com/wp-cont...14/09/sepp.jpg

Comment

Dwight D Eisenhower in the crosshair of a danish submarine during an exercise in 91 (page 5)

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The Dong-Feng 21... mach 10. easy to see, little tougher to hit.

Comment

I can one for one you my trophy for an aircraft carrier.
                                The Grinch who stole football:
                                http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...-346543857.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X