The end is nigh ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end is nigh ...

Doudna was not a gray-haired emerita being celebrated for work she did back when dirigibles ruled the sky. It was only in 2012 that Doudna, Charpentier and their colleagues offered the first demonstration of CRISPR’s potential. They crafted molecules that could enter a microbe and precisely snip its DNA at a location of the researchers’ choosing. In January 2013, the scientists went one step further: They cut out a particular piece of DNA in human cells and replaced it with another one.

In the same month, separate teams of scientists at Harvard University and the Broad Institute reported similar success with the gene-editing tool. A scientific stampede commenced, and in just the past two years, researchers have performed hundreds of experiments on CRISPR. Their results hint that the technique may fundamentally change both medicine and agriculture.

Some scientists have repaired defective DNA in mice, for example, curing them of genetic disorders. Plant scientists have used CRISPR to edit genes in crops, raising hopes that they can engineer a better food supply. Some researchers are trying to rewrite the genomes of elephants, with the ultimate goal of re-creating a woolly mammoth. Writing last year in the journal Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, Motoko Araki and Tetsuya Ishii of Hokkaido University in Japan predicted that doctors will be able to use CRISPR to alter the genes of human embryos “in the immediate future.”
    So ... how many erogenous zones should we limit ourselves to?

With the right partner(s), you should have 42. This is the meaning of life...
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

We should probably just accept the amount that God intends us to have.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Limit?
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Great news for genetic diseases, if it works. I've heard news like this many times before, like cures for cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            So why is God allowing us to learn this technology then?
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Very early days. Don't expect anything really useful for at least 20 years.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Great news ... first prerequisite for my plan to grow an army of intelligent super-monkeys that work for me and fulfill my wishes without any desire to get paid or go on strike ever
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                    Great news for genetic diseases, if it works. I've heard news like this many times before, like cures for cancer.
                    Cancer was created by corporations to sell radiation.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I was hoping aeson was finally going to ban ben...
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                        Who said he approves of it?
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Who said he approves of it?
                          He told me he does.
                          The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                          - A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                            He told me he does.
                            And there you have it.

Case Closed!

Comment

Working...
                            X