Help with VBASIC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with VBASIC!

I'm trying to make a macro check for a value in a cell and then do a procedure when that value is present and a different procedure when it is absent down a series of rows. Endstate is for the macro to select one of about a dozen different procedures (so a dozen different values) each with about 50 steps in an external program. These procedures would correspond to the letter in the independent cell for each row.

Below is a simplified version of the code I wrote to try the concept. The problem is that it only checks for the value once and doesn't switch procedures based on the presence or absence of the value. I've also tried If... Then... Else but had the same problem. Given what I intend to do, I think If... Then... Else would be preferable but I'm not sure.

Code:
    Sub test()

Z = 10
    Do Until IsEmpty(Cells(Z, 1))
        Do While Not IsEmpty(Cells(Z, 2))
        Cells(Z, 3) = "YES"
        Z = Z + 1
        Loop
        Do While IsEmpty(Cells(Z, 2))
        Cells(Z, 3) = "NO"
        Z = Z + 1
        Loop
    Z = Z + 1
    Loop

End Sub

These are the results I get for different values:

Code:
    1		NO
    2	Y	
    3		NO
    4	Y
    Code:
    1	Y	YES
    2	Y	YES
    3		NO
    4	Y
    So it doesn't loop back to check the first Do While. I need it to keep checking for an unknown number of rows.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Looks to me like the outer line with Z = Z +1 is the problem.

You always switch to the next line in the 2 inner do ... while loops ...
    so, you would already be in the perfect condition for the next run through of the outer loop,
    but thanks to the additional Z = Z + 1 before the outer "loop" it skips one line., every time that it entered the 2nd inner loop (i.e. the one that checks for empty cells in (Z, 2))

Therefore I assume, if you remove the outer Z = Z + 1 it should work
    (after all every possible condition of (Z, 2) is already covered in the 2 inner loops)
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Code:
      Sub test()

Z = 10
          If Not IsEmpty(Cells(Z, 2))
            Cells(Z, 3) = 'YES"
          Else
            Cells(Z, 3) = "NO"
          Endif
          Z = Z + 1
      Loop

End Sub
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

edit: wrong thread
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

implicit variable declaration ftl

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
            Looks to me like the outer line with Z = Z +1 is the problem.

You always switch to the next line in the 2 inner do ... while loops ...
            so, you would already be in the perfect condition for the next run through of the outer loop,
            but thanks to the additional Z = Z + 1 before the outer "loop" it skips one line., every time that it entered the 2nd inner loop (i.e. the one that checks for empty cells in (Z, 2))

Therefore I assume, if you remove the outer Z = Z + 1 it should work
            (after all every possible condition of (Z, 2) is already covered in the 2 inner loops)
            Nope. That would cause it to loop ad infinitum (and crash the macro) regardless of the Do Until condition.

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
            Code:
            Sub test()

Z = 10
                If Not IsEmpty(Cells(Z, 2))
                  Cells(Z, 3) = 'YES"
                Else
                  Cells(Z, 3) = "NO"
                Endif
                Z = Z + 1
            Loop

End Sub
            That worked with a few changes. You forgot the Then after the If. I changed it to an If for a value because I'll have many non-numeric possible independent values.

So all further nested If's should work as long as I keep the Z = Z + 1 and Loop at the end?

Thanks, Loinburger.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yup, in your loop you want to do [stuff] for each row, so don't increment the counter until you've done [stuff] i.e. don't increment it until the end

In general, if you've got a loop with a counter (either as a terminating condition i.e. "terminate when counter >= constant" or in this case as an index) then you don't want to modify the counter more than once per loop iteration unless you know what you're doing. If you're tempted to modify the counter more than once then see if you can avoid this by introducing a second counter and/or using an inner subroutine. Note that it sometimes make sense to change the counter using an if-else (e.g. increment on an "if" and don't increment it on the "else", so you're still only modifying the counter once per iteration), but your code will make a lot more sense if the counter is monotonic (always increases or stays the same, or always decreases or stays the same; if it increments on the "if" and decrements on the "else" then your code will look like crap).
              Last edited by loinburger; June 8, 2015, 20:12.

Comment

Also you're in the military now Albie, so you should be using acronyms for everything. In this case the one you need is VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

Comment

yeah, what Loin said. You should only increment loops once. Also, don't use while-loops to check for a single cell's value.

Also, what you are doing here can be done using a function.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I want to split the procedures into different subroutines to make it less cumbersome to manipulate and adjust. I've tried something like the below, but there's no mechanism for it to check values in subsequent cells. I've tried different things but they didn't work. How can I make it progress to Z + 1 after calling back to the initial sub?

Code:
                    Sub test()

Z = 10
                        If Cells(Z, 2) = "A" Then
                        Call A
                        Else
                             If Cells(Z, 2) = "B" Then
                             Call B
                                    Else
                                           If Cells(Z, 2) = "C" Then
                                           Call C
                                           End If
                              End If
                         End If
                    Z = Z + 1
                    Loop

End Sub

Sub A()
                          Cells(Z, 3) = "Execute A"
                          Call test
                    End Sub

Sub B()
                          Cells(Z, 3) = "Execute B"
                          Call test
                    End Sub

Sub C()
                          Cells(Z, 3) = "Execute C"
                          Call test
                    End Sub
                    Eventually subroutine A, for example, will have subroutines within it, so I'll need it to call back multiple layers and still progress through cells.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; June 9, 2015, 20:34.

Comment

You don't need to call "test" at the end of "A"/"B"/"C" - after the subroutine is finished executing it automatically pops back up to the call point. Right now you've got infinite recursion because the functions are going to keep calling each other forever.

Comment

Wiki explanation on the call stack. If you're in subroutine A and you call subroutine B at line N, then all of subroutine A's data gets pushed onto the stack and subroutine B gets called; when subroutine B is finished then subroutine A is popped off the stack, its data is restored, and it resumes at line N+1. (There are languages/optimizations/whatever that eliminate the call stack, but for now you don't care about them.)

Comment

What I'm using this for is booking accounting transactions.

For example,

If "FX/SPOT" in column 1 then if currency is Malaysian, run subroutine AA; else, run subroutine AB

If "FX/FORWARD" in column 1 then if currency is Malaysian, run subroutine BA; else, run sub BB

If "FX/HEDGE" in column 1, then if settle - trade date <= 3, then if Malaysian, run sub AA; else, run sub AB; else if Malaysian, run BA; else BB

If "TBA/MBS" in column 1, then if Buy, run CA; else, run CB

etc.

Column 1 will have many different security/trade types. The procedures are fairly long (30+ keystrokes for each transaction) so I would like to break out the different subroutines.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                            You don't need to call "test" at the end of "A"/"B"/"C" - after the subroutine is finished executing it automatically pops back up to the call point. Right now you've got infinite recursion because the functions are going to keep calling each other forever.
                            Interesting. I thought I tried this and it just ended. I'll check it out. I don't have my macros with me but I'll open up excel real quick.

Comment

I just noticed that you're referencing Z inside of the A/B/C subroutines, but your Z from the test subroutine isn't visible there - I have no idea what your program is using there, probably some global variable floating around somewhere. Two options to fix this:

1. Pass in Z as a parameter to the subroutines
                              2. Turn the A/B/C subroutines into functions that return their string (e.g. "Execute A"), then have the test subroutine call the function and use the returned string in the assignment

Comment

Working...
                              X