Leaving forever and/or till Julyish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving forever and/or till Julyish

So, the Apostle's Fast begins Monday. Lasts till the end of June, mas o menos, and we'll be spending the weekend visiting so I thought I'd put this here now. The twist: we're spending the weekend visiting relatives in the area b/c we're moving to Florida next Friday, and Lord only knows when we'll get internet at the tiny little house we'll be staying in at first. So who knows.

Note that, with Lori already gone, this creates a marked shortage of painfully self-conscious posters here on the OT. Regrets.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Enjoy the vacation, I'll take up the slack by posting several painfully self-conscious threads about my hemorrhoids
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Oh God. Florida?

Godspeed.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

best of luck elok.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

It's the panhandle, Guy, so it's really more lower Alabama according to the wife. I don't imagine that comforts you much, though. I want to try to teach for real, and they have lower requirements here. I have a school system I really like up here, but I don't happen to have the Master of Arts in Teaching they're looking for. Or fourteen grand to get it with, either.
          1011 1100

Comment

The MA/MS in teaching is one of the dumbest ****ing requirements school systems have for teachers. Friends and acquaintances of mine in such programs tell me they are the biggest wastes of time and money they have yet experienced.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

you could try teaching at a catholic school. i heard somewhere they have low requirements.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Catholic school is where catholic kids go after they flunk out of regular school.
                1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  It's the panhandle, Guy, so it's really more lower Alabama according to the wife.
                  Truth. In Florida, the further north you go, the more Deep South it is.

Good luck, Elok.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Good luck with the move, and the new job Elok!

A friend of mine went to a Catholic school which was apparently very good, although it was in Michigan IIRC.

[edit:] It was an all-girls school, eh, nun school AFAIK. They did have non-nun teachers ofc.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I did a semester in Catholic and found it to be fine. Our religious class actually focused on non-christian religions. Probably because we were expected to know all about Catholicism from Sunday school.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        The MA/MS in teaching is one of the dumbest ****ing requirements school systems have for teachers. Friends and acquaintances of mine in such programs tell me they are the biggest wastes of time and money they have yet experienced.
                        Teachers don't like 'em much better, from what I've heard. But few parts of the American education system make sense. Even without the master's, for example, to expect someone with a bachelor's in math to work as a teacher for half the pay she could earn as an actuary or statistician--while undergoing much more stress and taking far more crap--is quite silly. The educational requirements alone tend to restrict the field to either people who are insanely passionate about working with kids (quite rare) or else total ****ups with a good education but no better prospects. I'm sort of the worst of both worlds; I like the idea of working with teenagers and my education is barely adequate for Florida. What the hell, it's worth a shot.

(standardized tests, unions, broken families and helicopter parents also hurt, and probably other things I don't know about)
                        1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          It's the panhandle, Guy, so it's really more lower Alabama according to the wife. I don't imagine that comforts you much, though. I want to try to teach for real, and they have lower requirements here. I have a school system I really like up here, but I don't happen to have the Master of Arts in Teaching they're looking for. Or fourteen grand to get it with, either.
                          Teacher college is a joke. Make sure it's what you want to do. I know you've been a sub for awhile, so was I. I quit after the first year. It was a waste to do all of that, but I knew I would quit sooner or later, so why not sooner.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

elok, though i've never met you personally, i get the feeling that you would be a very good teacher.

Comment

I hear you Elok. We're moving to Masters in Oz too. What a joke, particularly if you're maths based. There's a shortage of maths/science teachers here, but to get the teaching qual you need to pass a course written and assessed by humanities types. I couldn't do it, after 4 years of trying, mainly due to personality conflicts. I was liked and respected by my students and achieved good classroom results.

Comment

Working...
                              X