"In Search Of The Red Cross' $500 Million In Haiti Relief "

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "In Search Of The Red Cross' $500 Million In Haiti Relief "

When a devastating earthquake leveled Haiti in 2010, millions of people donated to the American Red Cross. The charity raised almost half a billion dollars. It was one of its most successful fundraising efforts ever.

The American Red Cross vowed to help Haitians rebuild, but after five years the Red Cross' legacy in Haiti is not new roads, or schools, or hundreds of new homes. It's difficult to know where all the money went.

NPR and ProPublica went in search of the nearly $500 million and found a string of poorly managed projects, questionable spending and dubious claims of success, according to a review of hundreds of pages of the charity's internal documents and emails, as well as interviews with a dozen current and former officials.

The Red Cross says it has provided homes to more than 130,000 people, but the number of permanent homes the charity has built is six.

The Red Cross long has been known for providing emergency disaster relief — food, blankets and shelter to people in need. And after the earthquake, it did that work in Haiti, too. But the Red Cross has very little experience in the difficult work of rebuilding in a developing country.

The organization, which in 2010 had a $100 million deficit, out-raised other charities by hundreds of millions of dollars — and kept raising money well after it had enough for its emergency relief. But where exactly did that money go?

Ask a lot of Haitians — even the country's former prime minister — and they will tell you they don't have any idea.

"Five hundred million in Haiti is a lot of money," says Jean-Max Bellerive, who was prime minister until 2011. "I'm not a big mathematician, but I can make some additions. It doesn't add up for me."
    An investigation by NPR and ProPublica finds a string of poorly managed projects, questionable spending and dubious claims of success, according to a review of the charity's internal documents.

Follow the link for the rest of the article. It's good to know that private charities are super efficient and people don't just donate to the non-profits with the best PR without really verifying the effectiveness of their donations

That's bad

Charities should be uch more transparent into where/how their funds are spent.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

There are good charities. The American Red Cross did not actually give a crap about the Haitian people. They didn't hire Haitians like other more successful charities did and basically they suck. Don't donate any money to them. Donate it to other charities.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

a good article that highlights the need for transparency, but also more importantly the problems with a top down model for distributing aid and directing development.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
        X