Guy, you're not alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy, you're not alone

Subbed as a school assistant today. My student's science teacher had one of her kids' mother in there as a guest lecturer to tell the class about "her journey" involving GMOs. As it happened, I knew this woman's daughter--she's a very intelligent girl. I assume the mom is too. But dammit, I was biting my tongue the whole time.

GMOs cause GI problems, autism, cancer, brain problems and death. They killed a bunch of rats in this one study. When you eat genetically modified food, it was implied, your own genes get modified. She did not distinguish all that clearly between GMOs, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, gluten, and whatever else Whole Foods shoppers are scared of these days. Lord only knows what those seventh graders made of it. But of course she was just giving them information and it was totally their choice.

Did I mention that this was for SCIENCE CLASS?

"How long have we been genetically modifying organisms?" Oh, about ten thousand years, give or take a few. "If GMOs are harmless, why won't the companies let us label them?" Because anything that's prominently labeled on a package in legalese scares customers. "Wait, if this kills the bees that the plants need to reproduce, why do the companies do it?" That is an EXCELLENT question, young man!

Does Europe have this going on too, or is it just an American thing?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I honestly am more and more happy I decided not to have kids because I would be an outspoken dick at every opportune moment.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Jesus ****ing Christ.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post

Jesus ****ing Christ.
        Saving for future use.
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
            Jesus ****ing Christ.
            Hey, He was all about using unconventional methods to feed a lot of people. Don't go tarring Him by association with this.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
              I honestly am more and more happy I decided not to have kids because I would be an outspoken dick at every opportune moment.
              As opposed to?

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                As opposed to?

ACK!
                I have been pantsed.

Comment

GMOs rule, mouthbreathing ignoramuses drool
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    Hey, He was all about using unconventional methods to feed a lot of people. Don't go tarring Him by association with this.
                    JMF...?
                    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

it always puzzles me when people, especially people on the left, want to talk about GMOs as a 'science' question. it plays right into the hands of the corporations pushing GMOs and makes the issue something to be resolved by 'impartial' scientists, i.e. one in which the opinions and lives of those really involved have no place. the real issue of course is political, but it seems that too many sacred cows might be slaughtered by talking about that.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The issue with GMOs should not be political. It's whether they are more or less harmful/beneficial than other agriculture. You measure that scientifically, not with votes.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                          it always puzzles me when people, especially people on the left, want to talk about GMOs as a 'science' question. it plays right into the hands of the corporations pushing GMOs and makes the issue something to be resolved by 'impartial' scientists, i.e. one in which the opinions and lives of those really involved have no place. the real issue of course is political, but it seems that too many sacred cows might be slaughtered by talking about that.
                          Isn't it both of those things? You need scientific knowledge to have an informed opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                            Isn't it both of those things? You need scientific knowledge to have an informed opinion.
                            if the question is about whether GMOs are safe to eat or similar, then yes. however, for me the real issues are political. they're about having the food supply controlled by a small number of transnational corporations, about the standardisation, systematisation and uniformisation of agricultural practice, about turning billions of more or less independent peasant farmers into dependants of large corporations, about turning the world into a giant company town, about 'scientific' solutions being presented as answers to social, economic and political questions.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

How long does a patent on a GMO last?

Comment

Working...
                              X