Google car update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google car update.

We started designing the world’s first fully self-driving vehicle to transform mobility, making it easier, safer and more enjoyable for everyone to get aroun...

Google says they are ready to start live testing their new self driving electric city car on public roads. Frankly, right now it looks like an eco weenie mobile but if the technology is sound then I could see them making billions by leasing the tech to existing automakers.

Either way it is nice to see American companies can still innovate and maybe, just maybe, we will see both Google and Apple become brand new American based automakers. That will be three car makers based in California after counting Tesla.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

It's amazing what Californians can accomplish if they're not from San Diego.

Comment

I can't wait for the driverless car revolution

I hope insurance companies refuse to cover human drivers or something
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Reactionaries like Ben and Kidicious are going to be so upset

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
          It's amazing what Californians can accomplish if they're not from San Diego.
          http://www.citylab.com/work/2013/06/...-capital/3284/

Meh, San Diego by itself produces about the same amount of venture capital as the entire state of Texas so it isn't doing bad. True, the older, larger metro areas in the Bay Area and LA dwarf it but they dwarf the entire rest of the country.
          Last edited by Dinner; May 15, 2015, 15:31.

Comment

I'm all for driverless cars, but I don't want to see driving disappear completely as a thing. Driving on a big open highway in the middle of nowhere is a good time.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

On a different note that map of where start ups happen and who gets venture capital is pretty amazing. It looks like the NE and the west coast (really just California plus Seattle) gets something like 3/4th of all the start up funding in the country. Republicans can bad mouth those areas all they want but the numbers don't lie. That is where the innovation and most of the future jobs are going to be located.

Comment

That is an update from yesterday about Apple's electric car. They have supposedly reached a settlement with battery maker A123 Systems for poaching key workers from A123. It is hard to believe some of those guys were getting paid $300,000 per month yet Apple was still able to lure them away.

Comment

CNN article on how Google is beginning road testing their new self driving car. It says that in the beginning the cars will be limited to 25mph for safety reasons but that people in Mountain View, CA should be seeing cars driving around with no one in them soon.

Comment

Man, think of how much free time this would open up if you didn't have to pay attention to driving.
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash View Post
                      Man, think of how much free time this would open up if you didn't have to pay attention to driving.

I predict that most of that free time will be used up either playing candy crush saga or looking at cat videos.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I was more thinking books, but yeah, for some I bet that'll be the case.
                        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                          I can't wait for the driverless car revolution

I hope insurance companies refuse to cover human drivers or something
                          That's retarded.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

No. Allowing human beings to operate vehicles is retarded.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I hope insurance companies refuse to cover smokers or something
                              No. Allowing human beings to smoke is retarded.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X