Chimpanzees granted 'legal persons' status to defend their rights in court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spambot View Post
    Kentonio is ruining this thread. Why do conservatives have to ruin everything?
    What I create, I can also destroy.

Comment

• Originally posted by spambot View Post
      Kentonio is ruining this thread. Why do conservatives have to ruin everything?
      to be fair, it is better than Ben ruining the thread.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• I don't think either I or HC are saying that there will never be a real computer intelligence. In fact, I would bet that HC beleives there will be. I would say that a large portion of the relevant (Computer science) scientific community agrees that there will be.

The question is "is it in any way close or possible in the near future" and the answer is no. Not even by accident.

JM
        (near future is -20 years)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• That's like a red rag to a bull for him
          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            I don't think either I or HC are saying that there will never be a real computer intelligence. In fact, I would bet that HC beleives there will be. I would say that a large portion of the relevant (Computer science) scientific community agrees that there will be.

The question is "is it in any way close or possible in the near future" and the answer is no. Not even by accident.

JM
            (near future is -20 years)
            I wouldn't disagree with that, although I'd naturally shy away from trying to predict anything in the technological field beyond 10 years. Hell, even 5 years is a stretch these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
              I wouldn't disagree with that, although I'd naturally shy away from trying to predict anything in the technological field beyond 10 years. Hell, even 5 years is a stretch these days.
              I very much disagree. There has been no unexpected advances in CS.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                I very much disagree. There has been no unexpected advances in CS.

JM
                Within which timeframe? You probably also want to provide a precise definition of CS there, as its often used in a much broader context which would make your statement look utterly ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  Kentonio, I think you may just lack the background to understand what I am saying. Particularly the distinction I drew between ordinary provable algorithms and ML/AI techniques. Yes I know your phone can recognize handwriting. Usually. It's a probabilistic system. Christ, dude, I write these things. I know how they work.
                  You're a probabilistic algorithm yourself, HC.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                    Within which timeframe? You probably also want to provide a precise definition of CS there, as its often used in a much broader context which would make your statement look utterly ridiculous.
                    Almost every advance in applied computer science I can think of has been anticipated by computer science theory, often decades beforehand.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]177339[/ATTACH]
                      best post in this thread.
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Almost every advance in applied computer science I can think of has been anticipated by computer science theory, often decades beforehand.
                        Most (maybe all) of which aren't comparable advances.

Comment

• You can have an evidence based prediction of the next 20ish years (I and HC's position) or a faith based prediction.

Something shockingly new is much more likely to come out of genetics/biology/etc than artificial intelligence/computation/etc in the next 20ish years. This is because we can look at the history of the two fields and look at what has come out and what hasn't.

And I think Ken* has fundamentally misunderstood the 'emergent' phenomena coming out of CS.

JM
                          (I don't expect anything shocking, from a lay perspective, to come out of physics for the next 100ish years)
                          Last edited by Jon Miller; April 23, 2015, 23:54.
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• What about astrophysics, JM? I ask because I've been taking an astrostatistics seminar and it seems like there is a lot of opportunity for interesting discoveries to be made--the impression I am getting is that astronomers have been slow to embrace statistics and machine learning and now that they are doing so and many new sensors and telescopes are being built there is a lot of opportunity for discovery. Though I am not sure a lay person would be interested in much of it.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• I don't expect it to impact the layperson, unless we find extraterrestrial life.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Fusion and nano-materials are advancing, but it will be a slow and steady advance (like it has been), there won't be some unexpected revolution.

JM
                                (Just to be clear that I don't think that physics will have no impactful (to laypersons) advances in the next 100 years, just nothing shocking)
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X